Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2018, 06:43 PM

Default First Day At The Range With My Springfield 1903

I took my sporterized NRA Sporter to the range for the first time today and I think I had a pretty good day. I say think because I don't know what kind of groups should be expected from these rifles using a Lyman 48S aperture sight. This was my first experience with a Lyman peep sight and the first rifle I've shot with any kind of peep sight since the M14's and M16's I used during my Marine Corps years (1969-1971). I started at 25 meters to make sure I was going to be on the paper and then moved the target back to 100 meters. My POI was pretty close at 25m, so it didn't take me too long to get it close at 100m, that is, once I put the Shoot-N-C target over the sight-in target. It was really difficult for me to tell exactly where I was aiming against the red and white background of the paper target only. After I applied the Shoot-N-C target, I found Lyman's gold bead covered the Shoot-N-C stick-on target's black circle almost perfectly which made it much easier for me to be precise with my shots. In the photo, you can see the result of the last 5 shot group I shot. The group is 1 7/16" at its widest or approximately 1.5 MOA @ 100 meters. I still need to adjust the POI about an inch to the left, but that will be a job for another day.

New Jersey State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor

Last edited by XTrooper; 07-04-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:32 PM

Very nice....I have a SRS-Papered NRA Sporter that I am dying to put through its paces soon. Looks like these rifles shoot as good as they look.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Very nice....I have a SRS-Papered NRA Sporter that I am dying to put through its paces soon. Looks like these rifles shoot as good as they look.
Thanks! To be honest, I was very pleasantly surprised. Between it being nearly 90 years old and mounted in an old, unbedded stock combined with my 65-year-old eyes using its Lyman aperture sight, I wasn't expecting it to shoot as well as it did. I would have stayed longer and finished up dialing it in, but the wind started picking up and I was getting tired so I packed it in.

You should definitely get yours out and shoot it. I had a lot of fun shooting mine today!

Last edited by XTrooper; 07-05-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:06 PM

Yes, nice shooting. I bet some FGGM 168's or a similar reload will really tighten them up as well.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickax View Post
Yes, nice shooting. I bet some FGGM 168's or a similar reload will really tighten them up as well.
Thanks, pickax!

Yes, no doubt. I bought some cheaper FMJ first to see if it was worth getting some match grade ammo for it. I'll spring for some good stuff to run through it now.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:37 AM

One point I failed to mention earlier is that I discovered very quickly that this rifle's trigger is definitely not in standard configuration. The trigger is light with no creep and breaks crisply. Its average pull weight is 3 lbs 3 ozs as measured by my Lyman digital gauge. In a word, this trigger is exceptional!

Last edited by XTrooper; 04-01-2018 at 09:41 AM.