Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 AM

I simply chucked mine in the lathe, got a cutting tool, and cut down until I got past the weld. Then, I locked the lathe so it wouldn't turn, and got my big a** crescent wrench (I wrapped the receiver with an old aluminum coke can to keep from scratching), and held back ups on the barrel with my big a** pipe wrench. It broke with very little effort from me. And I didn't make a relief cut. I just cut through the weld. No damage done! Now, I got to get my new 43 Remington barrel installed when it gets here!
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM

Good way to break teeth off your lathe gears. Good Shooting. ...
Old 01-18-2018, 12:26 PM

Default Drill rifles

I have found that it is best to cut all the way thru the barrel weld to prevent some of the weld on the receiver ring from breaking off leaving a defect. You can tell when you are thru the weld because the sparks change color when you are into the barrel steel. This is using a cut-off wheel on Dremel.

Last edited by Kansasbobcat; 01-18-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: omitted word
Old 01-19-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Good way to break teeth off your lathe gears. Good Shooting. ...

Yes it is !! Do you know that from personal experience ? I do !!
Old 01-20-2018, 01:09 PM

Great updates fellas. Really wish I could of got in on one of these. Hopefully some more will turn up. It will make a great project for the boy and I. We really like checking on your alls progress.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:46 PM

Hi Sigpros,

If you never did one before, please make sure that the original face of the receiver is truly square to the sides of the action.
I'm told that if the welded area had been cleaned up with a fine file, some times it's still a little out of Square !
It will affect where the new barrel will shoot. I must have checked the two rifles I did, about four times Two different squareness checks to make sure it was correct. A machinist Sq on the rec. & then a better Sq on a surface plate & rotate the Rec. on it! Then the gunsmith checked it before he installed the barrel!
Good Luck,
broom
Old 01-20-2018, 07:48 PM

Well, good news. Against the good advice given (actually it was too late, the unthinkable deed had already been committed) I got the spare parts kit from Numrich, and wasn't disappointed. I got all NOS Remington parts coated and packed full of cosmoline in wrap, so they are definitely GI surplus. I'm still digging cosmo out of the bolt. I think it's time to put the bolt in the oven and melt it out. Anyway, I hope to have everything put together by next weekend. Keep your fingers crossed, I may have the old girl up and going by Sunday next week. Maybe.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 AM

Your trigger guard looks to be Smith Corona. The stock, on the other hand, might be Remington. I think both had the triangle stamp, but only the SC had the diamond. I don't see the diamond on yours.

here's an SC stock and Remington TG

Old 01-22-2018, 06:43 PM

NOS Remington barrel should be in late this week. Hopefully, I would like to get the barrel on this weekend. Will see what happens. After seeing those rifles that have already been reactivated, I am going stir crazy with mine still down. Can't wait to go out back and see how she does! Thanks A Seebee for the pics.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:04 AM

I now what you mean when waiting for a barrel and actually shooting it for the first time. please post some final pictures when you have a chance to do so. Good shooting. I'm sure your weather will be more agreeable than up north.