Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2018, 09:11 AM

Finally got the barrel off of my 2nd drill rifle. It would have helped a lot if I had realized I was using the wrong lubricant. This will teach me not to just skim over the uses for the lubricant. The first lubricant was for "preventing rust", not "freeing rust" from materials.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1a View Post
I now what you mean when waiting for a barrel and actually shooting it for the first time. please post some final pictures when you have a chance to do so. Good shooting. I'm sure your weather will be more agreeable than up north.
Will definitely post pics when done! As far as weather goes, we had for the past two weeks an arctic blast. Highs didn't make it out of the 20s and lows were in the teens. Factoring in wind chill, more like single digits. It was hard enough to motivate myself to go out to the barn to the lathe and get the barrel off when I did. Now, we have highs in the 60s lows in the 30s, so the weather finally turned for the better. I hope it stays that way!
Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 PM

Barrel made it in today. Should be able to get it on this weekend if schedule permits. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on the spring and plunger to go in the cutoff lever. I don't think that is going to make it this week. I am still going to have to wait on shooting it until that comes in .
Old 01-25-2018, 08:06 PM

I feel your pain. I thought I had what I needed, only to realize the front sight blades that I had were 1903 blades and not 1903a3 blades. Just ordered some and it will be next weekend before they arrive. I keep telling myself that this is part of the process and fun.

Make sure to post pictures of your finished rifle. Enjoyed reading your progress.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:14 PM

Replacement spring and plunger for the cutoff lever just shipped today. So maybe by next week when they come in, she will be all finished.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:00 AM

Makes you wince to see the postage on those parts when they arrive. A 44 cent stamp would get them anywhere in the country. Still...got to have them. How is the wood under your upper band and the forward edge of the hand guard? Mine was seriously chewed.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriec View Post
Makes you wince to see the postage on those parts when they arrive. A 44 cent stamp would get them anywhere in the country. Still...got to have them. How is the wood under your upper band and the forward edge of the hand guard? Mine was seriously chewed.
Pretty clean. Just the usual nicks. Actually the inside on mine is cleaner and more nick free than the outside.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:53 PM

Ok, I have just a slight minor problem. I took the rear sight off when I removed the old barrel the other day. Problem is when I slide it back on to its pad on the receiver, it won't stay. I can push it right back off with no effort. It is going to be very annoying when I am trying to sight her in the first time if the sight keeps dancing around up there every time I shoot. Any fixes for this?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:56 PM

Should either have a set screw or be staked.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1941 View Post
Ok, I have just a slight minor problem. I took the rear sight off when I removed the old barrel the other day. Problem is when I slide it back on to its pad on the receiver, it won't stay. I can push it right back off with no effort. It is going to be very annoying when I am trying to sight her in the first time if the sight keeps dancing around up there every time I shoot. Any fixes for this?
Curious, did you take the sight off left to right?