Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2019, 04:21 PM

Pulled butt plate and it is a Boyds stock.

Last edited by k98dave; 10-15-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:11 PM

Back in the early 1990's, I was on a Navy rifle team and we had five National Match M-14 rifles issued to us from Crane, Indiana. Those rifles had glass bedded oversize walnut stocks.

The stocks were made from walnut wood that had very tight and straight grain and they were made with the fancier grain side oriented on top and bottom of the stock. If you looked at the rifle from right or left, the grain was very plain and appeared as thin straight lines.

I was told that the stocks were made that way to prevent or lessen warping left or right in damp weather.

I wonder if your rifle might have a similar stock?

GI stocks were made from both walnut and beech wood. The Beech stocks tend to look more yellow or red in color.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:08 PM

navyrifleman: I offer a slight correction that GI stocks were made in walnut and birch. Also, you’re very fortunate that the Navy actually supported the team back then. These days there is no support

Regarding the OP’s questions, not all walnut is the same. My understanding points to two factors

1) Heartwood vs sapwood
Heartwood is the older, denser center of a trunk where the cells have died and now provide structural support to the tree. Resins and other compounds accumulate and help to give the wood a darker, more colored appearance. Younger trees/portions of trees contain greater proportions of sapwood, which is less dense and more lightly colored.

2) Flat-sawn vs quarter-sawn lumber

Flat-sawn lumber yields the most usable material per trunk. However, due to the orientation of the cut, there are more “cathedrals” in the figuring. Look at many recently produced gunstocks and you’ll see the curved figuring on the sides. Some people regard this to be prettier.

Quarter sawing or rift sawing yields tighter grained boards with the grain running parallel to the lengthwise axis of the trunk. It is more dimensionally stable when confronted with moisture changes and also provides excellent strength for shooting applications. I’ve read that shotgun shooters want a tight grained stock with the grain line parallel to the wrist of the stock. My nicest USGI stocks match this description

Since the country is just about out of old growth walnut, we make do with younger walnut trees that are flat sawn to provide the greatest yield. This results in the loose grained, cathedral laden M1/M14/1903 stocks that most manufacturers turn out. You can get lucky and get a flat sawn stock that just happened to come from the right board and possesses tight, parallel grain. Years ago, Dupage sold a run of quarter sawn M1 stocks for a premium. They were tight grained and finished very nicely. The example I purchased (and deeply regret selling) had tight, straight grain and darkened/reddened within two weeks of applying raw linseed oil. None of the 10-15 other Dupage flat sawn sets that I purchased were as nice or reacted quite the same way to RLO.

-Eugene B. Sledge

Last edited by tinydata; 10-24-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the input to tinydata & navyrifleman since this is a 2002 mfg rifle with Boyds stamped under butt plate I don't think it the same as your Navy team gun, [I] don't have a way to post pic but im sure this is not walnut.
Best described as med or whats better known as honey oak in color and by the grain pattern.

One of my M1's has a Boyds stock and its not even close. Tight grain and dark redish brown like tinydata describedI see if I can get a picture.

Last edited by k98dave; 10-24-2019 at 07:20 PM.