Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2019, 07:12 PM

By the time you get to Texas it will probably be blue.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:26 PM

Also, if you have any of the firearms that part of the 1994 Federal "Assault Weapon" ban, if you purchased after 9/30/2013, you may NOT bring it in to Maryland. Even for a match.

All handguns and now banned (only if you owned them prior to 10/1/2013), you have to register them with the state.

Also, state has a ban against buying, selling, making, etc, magazines over 10 rounds. You may buy them out of state, and bring them in. No, it doesn't make sense. But they have been talking about a possession ban.

STAY AWAY. There is no such thing as a short commute in DC with lower cost housing. Most people live way out and commute. I live almost 70 miles from DC and work in Northern VA (but just across the river). I commute by train then metro. Long commute, but I have an acre with a nice house and an affordable mortgage.

There is a good shooting forum, MDShooters.com SEVERAL threads on moving to MD and the issues with doing so.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Have you considered living in Pennsylvania and commuting to Rockville station or another outer metro station. Pennsylvania is a gun friendly state as long as the republicans control the house and senate.

Looking for 1905 style S/A bayonets S/N 922033 & 1045220

John
Proud Member of the M1CC #112
Old 10-15-2019, 07:30 PM

Don't.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 PM

I have m1s, a Rockola carbine, bolt actions, M-14 (not M1A), some 1911s, a S&W .44 mag revolver, CA legal AR and semi auto 1919a4. Any problems with those?
Old 10-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipershot1944 View Post
Don't.
I donít really want to. I didnít want to move to SF but here I am making the best of it.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73runner400 View Post
I have m1s, a Rockola carbine, bolt actions, M-14 (not M1A), some 1911s, a S&W .44 mag revolver, CA legal AR and semi auto 1919a4. Any problems with those?
Don't rely on anything you read on any forum for legal advice. Check the MD state police site for a list of regulated firearms and check your firearms against the list. Moving to the state, you can register regulated firearms (I did, no trouble). It's complicated, call the police, they will talk to you. The police are not out to get you, they just want you to comply with the law.

From what you have listed, the M-14 and the AR may be issues, the others probably not. Handguns must be registered.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 10-16-2019, 06:15 AM

I would move to VA and commute. There are lots of commute options into the DC area to include "Slugging" that will get you to the METRO for moving around DC. Better shooting and more flexibility in VA. I have a buddy who lives in MD but shoots 3 gun in VA and WV. He has to wait until he is out of MD to load magazines. While the Libtards have taken over the State offices in VA (GOV, LT GOV and Atty Gen) we are still hanging on slimly to our red status in the state house.

Update: The MD AG letter provided below is from 2010, maybe my buddy is overcautious and he plans on leaving MD when retires from the USPS.

Airborne,
Mark

Last edited by SpearheadOrd; 10-16-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:40 AM

I'm a native Washingtonian and, until 2014, still owned my childhood home in Southeast DC. I visit the DC areas several times a year and will share my observations.

Regardless of where you live in the DC area, traffic can be terrible.

I recall leaving DC at 5 am in the morning to avoid traffic northbound on the GW Parkway and I-270 in Maryland and, after a hour of driving, I would still see a steady stream of headlights southbound into the DC area. As has been stated, gun ownership in MD is highly regulated and complex.

Traffic on both I-95 and I-66 in VA is a nightmare at rush hour (and often throughout the day) and an E-Z Pass for the I-95 express lanes really helps. Gun ownership is much easier than in MD, especially for high capacity magazines.

About 10 years ago, my late wife and I were heading back to DC from Shepherdstown, West Virginia after visiting Civil War battlefields and we were astonished to see a steady stream of commuters heading to the DC area!

If it were me, I would live in Northern Virginia and consider the Metro.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearheadOrd View Post
I have a buddy who lives in MD but shoots 3 gun in VA and WV. He has to wait until he is out of MD to load magazines
AG opinion on transporting loaded mags in MD

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...gInVehicle.pdf