Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-08-2018, 07:28 AM
Kilo-Sierra Kilo-Sierra is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 531
Default

I used to shoot full weight in my SR's. Now...I just shoot the 40oz weight in the UBR stock and nothing up front. There are a bunch of combo's to try. I'd suggest being opened minded and see which feels most natural for you. Give them a fair shot (bad pun intended) and then go from there.

Keith
__________________
I can shoot a one hole/one shot group at any distance....."If I do my part"

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 PM
champ0608 champ0608 is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 138
Default

I know...old thread, but I'm bored, so why not bump an old conversation.

For me, full weight really hurt my scores. The only event it seemed to help in was rapid sitting. The prones saw no improvement, and offhand was hindered by a couple points.

The big problem for me was that a really heavy rifle was something I was much less likely to get out of the safe and dryfire. I'm a competitive bowler, and use a 16 pound bowling ball. A rifle that weighs more than my bowling balls is not appealing to me.

But I did decide I like the feel of the rifle with a little weight in the buttstock. Mostly I find this makes the rifle easier to handle and feel less toy-like during reloads in the rapids. I also put one cuff from the handguard weight into the handguard to get the balance point where I want it. I have maybe two pounds of lead in the rifle now and am quite happy with it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-28-2018, 06:14 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 463
Default

I shoot a RRA NM A4. I thought the stock rifle was front heavy. I added some weight to the rear of the rifle (handful of pulled junk bullets) to balance it out. I'm new too so I can't say that it helped or hurt me, but I feel a lot more comfortable in off hand and that's got to be worth something
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2018, 10:56 AM
A2Shooter A2Shooter is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pigeon, WV 25164
Posts: 25
Default

The weights seem to help a lot with dry fire training. Though it can really get old holding up that weight offhand, it can help your form. I have been dry firing a lot lately with full lead weight. I'm still trying to get consistent and practicing with the weight has helped me tremendously with my offhand and sitting. I don't know if I'll use full weights in a match, I tend to do better with less weight shooting. But I practice with full weight 75% of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-06-2019, 02:28 PM
asbellsc asbellsc is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Default

Good comments by everyone. Resurrecting the thread/subject as I am looking for ways to improve my offhand. I have been dry firing everyday and have a fully weighted Geissele front rail. My offhand has not improved all summer. Now looking to remove the weights as I feel they are too heavy and cause me to fatigue too quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Basstar Basstar is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbellsc View Post
Good comments by everyone. Resurrecting the thread/subject as I am looking for ways to improve my offhand. I have been dry firing everyday and have a fully weighted Geissele front rail. My offhand has not improved all summer. Now looking to remove the weights as I feel they are too heavy and cause me to fatigue too quickly.
I'm glad you responded as I was alerted to the thread.

First, I'm a total newbie and am in no way qualified to offer any helpful opinions or insight but will share my experience.

I'm shooting an A2 RRA and had both the butt stock and the front weighted.

I removed the front weights and left the rear and to me the rifle just seems more comfortable. To be honest I don't have enough before and after experience to offer any tangible info but at least I like how the rifle seems to fit and feel when shooting.

When I removed both the front weights and the rear weights the rifle felt a bit barrel heavy to me.

Good luck with your experimentation and your shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-06-2019, 05:18 PM
asbellsc asbellsc is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstar View Post
I'm glad you responded as I was alerted to the thread.

First, I'm a total newbie and am in no way qualified to offer any helpful opinions or insight but will share my experience.

I'm shooting an A2 RRA and had both the butt stock and the front weighted.

I removed the front weights and left the rear and to me the rifle just seems more comfortable. To be honest I don't have enough before and after experience to offer any tangible info but at least I like how the rifle seems to fit and feel when shooting.

When I removed both the front weights and the rear weights the rifle felt a bit barrel heavy to me.

Good luck with your experimentation and your shooting.
Thank you Basstar, I'm planning to hit the range tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-06-2019, 06:29 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbellsc View Post
Good comments by everyone. Resurrecting the thread/subject as I am looking for ways to improve my offhand. I have been dry firing everyday and have a fully weighted Geissele front rail. My offhand has not improved all summer. Now looking to remove the weights as I feel they are too heavy and cause me to fatigue too quickly.
NPA, NPA, NPA! I'm newer to the sport too and once I figured this out, it will be like flipping on a light switch. However, getting a true NPA in off hand is very difficult. But when you're on, it's like your sights are glued to the X ring.
Sometimes a little adjustment in your coat makes a big difference.
Try this next time you're dry firing. Rig up a laser pointer so you can see it and your sights. This will really show you your wobble zone. Then try out new things like pointing your toes in, or loosening up that middle buckle on your coat. The laser will show you what is working and what is not.

As far as weights go. The rifle should feel Balanced on your support hand, which should be right in front of the mag well. For me, that's no handguard weight and a handful off pulled bullets in the but stock.

One more tip that I received from a HM. He said, just aim for the black! The black is a 9, and that's good! The tens will come with time.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-06-2019, 06:40 PM
asbellsc asbellsc is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
NPA, NPA, NPA! I'm newer to the sport too and once I figured this out, it will be like flipping on a light switch. However, getting a true NPA in off hand is very difficult. But when you're on, it's like your sights are glued to the X ring.
Sometimes a little adjustment in your coat makes a big difference.
Try this next time you're dry firing. Rig up a laser pointer so you can see it and your sights. This will really show you your wobble zone. Then try out new things like pointing your toes in, or loosening up that middle buckle on your coat. The laser will show you what is working and what is not.

As far as weights go. The rifle should feel Balanced on your support hand, which should be right in front of the mag well. For me, that's no handguard weight and a handful off pulled bullets in the but stock.

One more tip that I received from a HM. He said, just aim for the black! The black is a 9, and that's good! The tens will come with time.
Thank you for the excellent reply!.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Road_Clam Road_Clam is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 87
Default

I just shot an 80 rd match at my club this weekend and previously i've shot service rifle with a full length buttstock weight. I have a lot of lower back and hip issues going on and this past outing I really got progressively tired throughout the match. Tired to the point where the match was not even fun. Shot a decent 629-3X but my electronic target dropped 3 shots. I do have corrective surgery coming in mid December, so hopefully in 2020 i'll be shooting in less pain. I too am contemplating loosing the lead weight. Seems most shooters favor the weight, but where i'm not a big or strong guy i'm wondering if the less wight / more recoil will be a better scenario for my situation. I guess i'll just have to try and see what works best for me.

Last edited by Road_Clam; 10-14-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.