Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott63 View Post
Thanks for the input Brian, I was thinking the mail order would be a bit more of a gamble than usual for these particular rifles. Obviously picking one out at the stores would be the way to go. I think I'd rather have one with decent heel markings no matter the maker, and try for a Winchester later.
Yes its going to be a gamble, I've seen a few now where the SA heel markings were not visible, but most were, so even in a SA there's no guarantee. I think if you order a RGSPL, you have to accept your ordering a RACK grade and the metal may be pretty bad to include no heel markings other than a faint SN.
Your ordering this as a shooter.

I had a hard time deciding if I was going to buy one but I was lucky since I was able to hand pick mine, but still the field grades at the same price in both stores were all pretty nice and all had GI wood for the same price, and most were low numbers on the TE and ME.

If it was my first rifle or maybe even my second, Id definitely go for a Field grade or better yet spend an extra $100 for a service grade. I think the rack grade specials are good if you already have a nice rifle and you want a good shooter to use and abuse and you dont care what the receiver looks like, so you can keep your other rifles in better shape.

Last edited by brianm767; 10-08-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 AM

If you decide to chance it with a mail order, you can always include a sticky asking for one with a good readable heel marking. They are usually pretty accommodating for reasonable requests.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Sticky notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by airaddict View Post
If you decide to chance it with a mail order, you can always include a sticky asking for one with a good readable heel marking. They are usually pretty accommodating for reasonable requests.
The CMP staff does try to fill customers request by sticky notes, IF POSSIBLE.... Sometimes they canít because they can pull from only the rifles they have available at that time, but they really do try to satisfy request. Great people in the shipping department and I know and see them everyday the South Store is open. Recommend stickyís.. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post
Yes its going to be a gamble, I've seen a few now where the SA heel markings were not visible, but most were, so even in a SA there's no guarantee. I think if you order a RGSPL, you have to accept your ordering a RACK grade and the metal may be pretty bad to include no heel markings other than a faint SN.
Your ordering this as a shooter.

I had a hard time deciding if I was going to buy one but I was lucky since I was able to hand pick mine, but still the field grades at the same price in both stores were all pretty nice and all had GI wood for the same price, and most were low numbers on the TE and ME.

If it was my first rifle or maybe even my second, Id definitely go for a Field grade or better yet spend an extra $100 for a service grade. I think the rack grade specials are good if you already have a nice rifle and you want a good shooter to use and abuse and you dont care what the receiver looks like, so you can keep your other rifles in better shape.
This will be my second, I have an HRA from around 2005 that is really nice, so I am looking for one to shoot without worrying about it. The next one I order will be a field grade. Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airaddict View Post
I did put a sticky in with my order asking for a Win with decent markings or any other with decent markings if that was unavailable. But a couple days after I mailed it they did the price increase for the Winchesters, so if they call or email I was trying to decide if it was worth the extra 50 bucks. Seems like a big gamble with the mail order. Overall for the money the RGSPL is a definite bargain considering the new barrel and stock.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:02 PM

I had to return the SA I got because the rear sight elevation knob notches in the receiver were gone. They approved the exchange and I paid the $50 and "upgraded" to a WRA Special Rack. It shows a 1.3m serial number and should ship today. Hopefully it will be a good example. But I bought this to be a daily practice shooter to avoid putting excess wear and tear on my match use HRA. So as long as it is fully functional, I will not be too disappointed regardless of how it looks.

Last edited by East of Here; 10-08-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Spell check error
Old 10-09-2019, 10:39 AM

Got the WRA delivered this morning. The heel stamp is worn, but legible. It also has an IHC gas plug, an IHC trigger housing and an IHC hammer. It might have all/some other IHC parts in the trigger group, as the finishes look pretty uniform. But I don't really know how to tell the maker of those parts if they are not marked. It has an SA bolt and op rod. There is very little visible pitting on the receiver and the rifle appears to function just fine. Overall, I am quite pleased with this one.

https://ibb.co/VYG6XhD

https://ibb.co/dkHBbCY

https://ibb.co/Mcg9YMR
Old 10-09-2019, 10:55 AM

East of Here, for some reason I cant view your pics
Now they are working, for a shooter rifle that stamp would be just ok, but I'm not gonna risk it for 50 dollars more.

Last edited by scott63; 10-09-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott63 View Post
East of Here, for some reason I cant view your pics
I am not sure why. It might be something in your settings. The links work on both my laptop and my phone. I don't know how to post them directly.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Here View Post
Got the WRA delivered this morning. The heel stamp is worn, but legible. It also has an IHC gas plug, an IHC trigger housing and an IHC hammer. It might have all/some other IHC parts in the trigger group, as the finishes look pretty uniform. But I don't really know how to tell the maker of those parts if they are not marked. It has an SA bolt and op rod. There is very little visible pitting on the receiver and the rifle appears to function just fine. Overall, I am quite pleased with this one.

https://ibb.co/VYG6XhD
That Heel stamp is better than two of my FG and SG WRA rifles.