Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2020, 08:14 PM

De-prime. Wet tumble. Dry. Lube. Size. (Swage). Trim. De-burr. Chamfer. Dry tumble.

After that:

Prime. Powder. Seat bullet.

In the brass processing you could be set up to trim, de-burr and chamfer in one step. That's still 8 (messy) steps to 3.

PS- I've never sent my brass out. I shot High Power for nearly 40 years, plus some Silhouette and Bullseye.

Last edited by Louisxllx; 11-21-2020 at 08:23 PM. Reason: PS
Old 11-21-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
I appreciate that, but I had a problem from one that you mentioned. The primer pockets were over-swaged and the primers fell out. Many on my highpower team had the same issue, and we had a lot of alibis that year due to primers in the trigger mechanism.

Certainly, YMMV. I love the folks that do that kind of thing, but reloading issues can cost a lot of time... Much much more than doing the prep.

I rather enjoy prep during these times of sanctioned holidays... I know, lame. Polishing a piece of metal and trimming it is better than watching the news.

OP: if you're willing to pay for prep... Something like a Giraud case trimmer makes all of the difference. I use one for 3006, and trimming is a snap.
Which company and how long ago?
What did they say when you talked to them?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Which company and how long ago?
What did they say when you talked to them?
I'm not going to mention the company. They are nice folks. They took the brass back and sent me unprocessed brass. Meaning once fired brass with still crimped-in primers. They made it right, but it cost a lot of time for me and many others.

It's easy to set the swager to be too deep on a Dillon, this was the issue. I like the idea of juniors prepping brass, but never again. To many little things to get right.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe wilson View Post
Why would you want to go to the difficulty of finding someone who does this simple task, mail your empties to them, pay them to do it, then pay for the shipping back?

If you reload, brass prep is integral to the loading process, but far from the most time consuming.
Because like the other Poster, my time is limited.
In my experience the brass prep IS the most time consuming part of this.

When I first let them process my brass, I carefully examined the brass I got back and shot it with no difference I could find.
Done and done.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to mention the company. They are nice folks. They took the brass back and sent me unprocessed brass. Meaning once fired brass with still crimped-in primers. They made it right, but it cost a lot of time for me and many others.

It's easy to set the swager to be too deep on a Dillon, this was the issue. I like the idea of juniors prepping brass, but never again. To many little things to get right.
And.... "How long ago?"
Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
And.... "How long ago?"
I can share an experience here for the benefit of others. I don't have to provide information I don't want to. Why would that matter anyway? Brass prep is easy, and it got screwed up. It wouldn't matter if it was 10 or 5 or 1 years ago. For me, using another wasted months of time. I, personally, have never had an issue with brass that I have prepped.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I can share an experience here for the benefit of others. I don't have to provide information I don't want to. Why would that matter anyway? Brass prep is easy, and it got screwed up. It wouldn't matter if it was 10 or 5 or 1 years ago. For me, using another wasted months of time. I, personally, have never had an issue with brass that I have prepped.
No you don't have give out information you don't want to.
Knowing who and when you sent out your brass is relevant to the subject at hand though.........
The OP is asking about brass services, I mentioned 3, you had a problem with one of the three I mentioned.

Dick Whiting (and his crew of Juniors) did a great job with my 30-06 brass.
But he turned that over to others several years ago.
So the timing is relevant......

OP:
Since Dick Whiting is no longer in the brass service business, I can only recommend the other 2- Blue Ridge and M&S.............. as those are the other ones I've used.
But I have no idea if they would process 30-06 brass.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:20 PM

Sigpros,. Contact Bob at Beaver River Brass Processing in PA. They have done over 15k of 30/06 for me over the last 4 years. Great job and great people who I got to meet a few years back when I dropped off a few thousand while traveling from NY to Ohio.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:42 PM

Thank you all I will check the places listed out
Old 11-22-2020, 10:32 PM

I have also used Beaver River Brass Processing and was happy with their service.
https://www.shooters-place.com/beave...ss-processing/