Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2020, 05:15 PM

Hi Doubs43,

The reason I have two Mossburgs is because of the match's at your club!

I was doing just dandy with the iron sights in the early stages of the match. Paper targets at what ever distance was the norm at the time were holed well and steel targets all fell down!

When they went out to 100 yards with 3/4 inch red sticky... I was finished.

So I bought the second one & put a nice scope on it. I don't recall how may lunch's that rifle & scope cost me!

Lots of fond memory's of your range!
broom
Old 11-26-2020, 09:48 AM

Hi Fellows,

I had time to clean that M-12 bolt! Of course real life did slow me down for a day.
I was truly astounded by the amount of particles of black & gray stuff that started coming off the bolt/cuts. Especially the extractor hook area.
The extractors now require much less pressure to operate.
During the third spray & brush cleaning. A dried up stem of some type of plant came out the the bolt firing pin channel. it had to be about a 1/4 inch long & the thickness of a fingernail!
I used some Rem Oil & a tad of gun grease on the bolt cams. It seems to be much smoother /lighter now. I'll try it out & report back!

Thanks again for your help,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 11-26-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:48 AM

I've had extraction problems with my H&R M5200 (identical to the M12, except it has a walnut stock).

Can you detail the cleaning procedure that you used to clean the bolt?
Old 11-26-2020, 11:50 AM

Good deal, Broom. Sounds like you've cured the problem.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:51 PM

Hi Calfed,

I'm sure others here are better versed about this rifle then me.

I sprayed gun cleaner into every opening I saw on the bolt. In the cocked & un-cocked position. Repeated three times, until no more dirt & crud came out of the bolt.
Then went over all the nooks & cranny's I could reach with a clean new cleaning brush. The double ended type . The extractor cleaning trick, I learned from a PM surprised me!
I never had a issue with bad extraction. But when pushed with a small wood block, it was surprising how hard they were to move! I thought the bolt was clean...By flexing the extractors a few times & spraying cleaner even more fouling came out of the bolt!
Both extractors mover much easer now! I let it sit in the cleaning product about a hour & more stuff collected in the container! I lubed it up & tried it the bolt lift & lock seems to be better. I'm going to repeat the manual cleaning & drop it into the ultra sound next.

One of the posters here sent me a note about taking the bolt apart. It gave me a better insight on cleaning it BETTER. I'm hoping he will be following this thread. Hope fully he will send you the same message.

Good Luck & I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 11-27-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:22 PM

Thanks, broomhandle.

I'll give my bolt the "broomhandle treatment" and see if it improves the extraction.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:03 PM

Hi Calfed,

The many knolagable posters here have been a MAJOR help to me on at least 5 or 6 occasions. If I can pass on good info. I will try!

I'm a older guy & thought I had good understanding of handguns, rifles & various shooting sports! I'm the first one now, to tell someone I don't know it all!
The shooting knowledge base some of the people here have, is TRULY REMARKABLE.

A pal & I attended the 2019 Camp Perry Vintage Springfield match. The guys here helped me with a better load with less recoil & a bunch of tips on what to expect.
LOL!
Some how they never mentioned, to put your ear plugs in, before you get in bed at the barracks & cover your eyes.
WHY you ask? At 0 DARK THIRTY 4:30 AM the BLINDING lights come on!
A bunch of old guys are UP in seconds & moving like a herd of sometimes loud & nervous cattle to be ready on the line at 7 AM.
Were are you going to get a clean bed & hot showers-think it was $14 .32 cents a night!

WE met a fine group of great shooters, including the overall winner of a few match's! We had a truly outstanding time on & off the range. I /we will try to be there in 2021.

Enjoy every day,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 11-29-2020 at 07:13 PM.