Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2020, 12:49 PM

Default M1911A1 Auction and bidders

I was under the impression that you could only bid on one 1911 at a time and not place a bid on all of them hoping to win one.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:34 PM

"One Pistol Per Person! You May Bid on ONE Pistol only on the Auction!"
Click on a pistol and you will see the above disclaimer.
Pick one pistol you can't live without and ask mama for the credit card.
You can NOT bid on all of the pistols, hoping to get one.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:38 PM

Before all the covid stuff what were these going for on auction anyways?
Old 05-18-2020, 06:47 PM

There is, I think, a way to search past auction prices-but old age has got the best of me and I can't remember how. Perhaps a Forum member can help us??
Old 05-18-2020, 08:45 PM

Yes I know the rules on bidding. I was making mention that they are several bidders bidding on several 1911a1's at a time. Apparently they cannot read the CMP notice in red.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 AM

Are people that already purchased a 1911 or those bidding on multiple driving the final auction prices up? I have considered recently buying an auction 1911. I would like to know how CMP is managing bidders before participating in their auction.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
I was under the impression that you could only bid on one 1911 at a time and not place a bid on all of them hoping to win one.
Mark/all,
That is correct. I've notified the 1911 folks of this. The existing auction software is outdated and makes it more difficult to track stuff like this, especially when bids are initially submitted but they are able to fully track and enforce once the auctions are complete. Not the desired COA, but a planned upgrade of the software is in the works.
However, they are monitoring this situation, and doesn't appear these bidders are artificially inflating the final bids as these same bidders are usually not even bidding the reserve price and aren't involved in the final bidding. Many do it merely so they can see who is bidding what and on what (bidding allows you to see all bidders and the date/time of their bids).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJ50 View Post
There is, I think, a way to search past auction prices-but old age has got the best of me and I can't remember how. Perhaps a Forum member can help us??
Bob,
Yes, there is. When you go to the auction site (https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/index.asp), under the Search section on the top left of the home page, click on the "Advanced Search" button.

Once you do that, you'll see the screen below.

1. Make sure to select "Memorabilia" from the first dropdown (first red ellipse) because that's where the 1911s are auctioned (don't ask...wasn't my decision, don't know the reason and won't worry about it). If wanting to search Garands, select "Garands" in that same dropdown box.
2. Make sure to check on the "Completed" box (second red ellipse).
3. Select display of "100" (for ease of viewing...you can select 10, 25 or 50), and then click on "Go" and it will display the results for whatever category you select.

Of course, you can enter in certain words in the "Keywords" box higher on the page to narrow it down, such as "Colt."
NOTE: Make sure to select the "Include Description" box at the end of that line. Sometimes the title for particular auctions doesn't have certain keywords in them.

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Last edited by Big_Red; 05-22-2020 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Expected generalization posted
Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 PM

Thank you
Old 05-23-2020, 01:06 PM

The wording I got from CMP6 was that you could only have one high bid at a time. That was to prevent people from having all the high bids and winning only one. But even at that, there were some people who still had winning bids on more than one.
Quote:
"Q: Question on the new red information line. Does that mean that no matter what, we can only bid on one. Or is it just that if you win one, that is all you can bid on as was the case before the line was added? posted by: 2/10/2020 10:21:17 PM
A: We have had issues with people bidding on all the 1911 posted for a week winning two three or more. This is causing problems and we are needing it to stop. This red line means that you can only hold a bid on one 1911 at a time. If you get out bidded on one item then you can bid on a different 1911 if you wish. You can only hold the bid for one pistol."
Can you check Big Red and see if that changed so that we can no longer bid on a different one if we lose a bid on one we already had in? Now if that has changed, I expect to see a warning note sent to me soon.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
The wording I got from CMP6 was that you could only have one high bid at a time. That was to prevent people from having all the high bids and winning only one. But even at that, there were some people who still had winning bids on more than one.
Can you check Big Red and see if that changed so that we can no longer bid on a different one if we lose a bid on one we already had in? Now if that has changed, I expect to see a warning note sent to me soon.
Don,
Interesting...I will check on that and follow up with an answer.

Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544