Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Default Dominican Republic 30 Carbine corrosion test/reloading results...pics

Ok, so I have this old white box of what I think is Dominican 30 Carbine. Its Berdan primed and has 108 grain FMJ/Boattail bullets. Looks like stick powder.

Broke them all down and saved the bullets for my Winchester 30-30 reloading plinker loads. Also did a corrosion test on raw, mild steel.

Results:

Corrosion isn't what I thought it would be. I had dealt with some old WW1 45 ACP steel-cased corrosive ammo that was just vicious. This Dominican ammo, while Berdan primed, doesn't seem to be that corrosive. I base this on the fact that after a full 5 days in damp environment , there is no rust happening where the empty rounds were detonated on the bare steel. The steel rusted next to them, but draw your own conclusions from the pics.

So, with 50 pulled bullets on my hands, I prepped the 30-30 cases, added 21 grains of 2400 Powder I had laying around, and seated them to just above the red sealant line (no particular reason) and gave them a mild crimp. Results were fantastic, with 5 shots going into a ragged hole at 50 yards. (Yes, that's a dime in the target pic).. Was smacking the 100 yard gong with every shot. Recoil was much less than factory loads., which was my goal. Rifle loaded, fired & ejected %100. This out of my Dad's old Win. 94 w/20" barrel, he bought new when he rotated home from Korea in 1953. Rifle does have a Lyman 66 receiver sight installed.

Would I trust this Dominican ammo in my 30 Carbine? Probably not, from what Ive read on it, but I wanted to see for myself, and had some fun along the way.

Enjoy!

Last edited by 218bee; 05-26-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:30 AM

Way cool! Always a joy to take salvaged components and whump up a pinwheel special! Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM

Very creative application!! Nice!!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:19 PM

This ammo was around in the mid 1970s and was considered corrosive. Had a friend that used to shoot it out his Plainfield M1 carbine. I never shot it myself out of any of my carbines but shot out his. It all went bang but that was 45 years ago.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:35 PM

Good test...we'll call it non-corrosive!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 05-27-2020, 03:19 PM

Ok, I have a few rounds of this so I'll shoot it in one of my carbines.

The ammo came with a carbine I purchased last year. The guy had shot some of this ammo in it and I know he didn't clean it. There was no trace of any corrosion in the barrel. So, I guess it's non-corrosive but I'll still clean as if it's corrosive.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 05-27-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
Ok, I have a few rounds of this so I'll shoot it in one of my carbines.

The ammo came with a carbine I purchased last year. The guy had shot some of this ammo in it and I know he didn't clean it. There was no trace of any corrosion in the barrel. So, I guess it's non-corrosive but I'll still clean as if it's corrosive.
The Dominicans made the oddball San Cristobal carbine in .30 Carbine caliber, but that was blowback, with no gas piston to worry about.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 PM

Something is wrong here. There was no factory .30 carbine boat tail ammo made. If your loads are boat tail bullets then someone changed them out. I can't get your links to work so I cannot see the photos.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Tuna, feel free to PM me your email address and I'll send the pics to you. The old guy I got these from bought these off the shelf at Agramonte's in Yonkers, NY and had them since the early 1970's (as hand-written on the box in pencil)..and I can assure you he never reloaded a day in his life. Red sealant was still in place when I cracked them open. Bullets weighed pretty consistently at about 108 grains. (Weighed about a dozen..)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:13 AM

You really need a “controlled” primer test for corrosion primer ID. Was your environment humid enough for rust to be evident? Well you include a “positive control” primer. You pop a known Corrosive primer on the same type steel.

Would the soot from a Noncorrosive primer have rusted the steel a bit? You pop a known NONcorrosive primer on the same type of steel as well.

The steel of all three primers (test, positive and negative controls) should be in a HUMID environment. Place a coffee cup half filled with water down in a large pot or bucket and put your steel test pieces in that pot. Then cover the Top of the vessel with Saran Wrap. Put the vessel in a warm area for 24-48 hours and then read your test.