Old 05-27-2020, 06:14 PM

Thanks

Whit

My feedback thread
Old 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpusmc View Post
What bullets would you recommend? I have an M1941 clone Id like to start stretching its legs out with some better ammo.

Whit
Sierras have won many national championships. Good a place as any to start. Your barrel and trigger, not to mention your skill, will be limiting factors. Don't believe anyone who tells you, "This bullet and no other."
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-28-2020, 06:59 AM

Since the OP intends to shoot at 1-200yds, it is not necessary to use expensive, heavy match bullets. The 110-125gr varmint bullets will provide the same accuracy along with reduced recoil and cost at these distances. Sierra match bullets are for longer range and cost twice as much as the lighter bullets. I use one lite bullet load for all the CMP 30-06 rifles with 100% function and excellent accuracy. Good Shooting. ...
Old 05-28-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Since the OP intends to shoot at 1-200yds, it is not necessary to use expensive, heavy match bullets. The 110-125gr varmint bullets will provide the same accuracy along with reduced recoil and cost at these distances. Sierra match bullets are for longer range and cost twice as much as the lighter bullets. I use one lite bullet load for all the CMP 30-06 rifles with 100% function and excellent accuracy. Good Shooting. ...
Sure. I wasn't necessarily recommending 168s. Sierra 110s shoot like gangbusters at 100 and 200, they're cheap and kick like a little baby.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
Sure. I wasn't necessarily recommending 168s. Sierra 110s shoot like gangbusters at 100 and 200, they're cheap and kick like a little baby.
What powder do you use for 110s in a .30-'06? Seems like case volume would be an issue.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnewcomb View Post
What powder do you use for 110s in a .30-'06? Seems like case volume would be an issue.
I use a starting load of 4350. This is based on my experience with the .25-06. This gives good loading density and excellent accuracy.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-28-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I use a starting load of 4350. This is based on my experience with the .25-06. This gives good loading density and excellent accuracy.
Wow! There must be a cloud of unburned powder coming out the muzzle with each shot. Have you laid a sheet of paper on the ground in front of the muzzle?
Old 05-28-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnewcomb View Post
Wow! There must be a cloud of unburned powder coming out the muzzle with each shot. Have you laid a sheet of paper on the ground in front of the muzzle?
Uh, no. No un-burned powder. As I said, excellent accuracy.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-28-2020, 04:35 PM

I do see a large amount of unburned powder in the bore with slow powders such as 4831. Oddly, this does not appear to affect accuracy much. I generally use faster powders (with magnum primers) to produce approximately 2900 fps for 110--125gr bullets. Do a search of the forums. Good Shooting. ...
Old 05-28-2020, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
definitely squirreling this away for if I come across any 110's at some point. I have 8lbs of 4350 that are begging to get let out of the bottle.