Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2020, 01:54 AM

Default Blue Sky Import, at what price would you buy one?

Ok I really don't need any replies by anyone who wouldn't buy one.

But for those who would if the price was right, what would that price point be?

Personally I'd prefer no import marks but for just shooter and not really a highly collectable rifle, a import mark wouldn't kill a deal for me.

Now from what I've read the B.S.I. rifles it was more of a heavy stamping on the barrel? Did this damage the barrels?

I recently came across a nice Inland Blue Sky rifle that the seller said it shot great and true for $500. I did not see it in person, it sold before I could inspect it.

At what price point would you be in and out for a mix master Blue Sky rifle?
Old 05-29-2020, 04:16 AM

All else aside, it depends on the condition of the carbine and the frenzy of owning one. We’re witnessing the sale of a stash of Ethiopian carbines sell with hardly any consideration/discount at all for the import mark. The justification seems to be because it’s small. The general line of thinking concerning imports warrant a value reduction of from $100 to 20%, depending on where you read about it. $500 for a good Blue Sky would have been a steal. If you are seeking a good shooter, consider the condition and ignore the import mark.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:06 AM

Would agree, plus at that price you could replace the barrel and have an even better shooter, have a gun no longer with an import stamp, and still be within an acceptable value.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:30 AM

My butt would be on fire from the friction of me pulling out my wallet so fast for a $500 functioning carbine. I'mdont get hung up at all of import marks. It says unequivocally that said rifle was overseas. Unlike the unmarked unknowns that could of been issued to Pvt Snuffy of the 503rd messkit repair BN for manuvers at Camp Shelby MS.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:52 AM

I recently gave $500 for a Blue Sky IBM. It is heavily stamped, but shoots good. Sooner or later I’ll run across an unstamped IBM barrel. I’ll then swap them out, or save it for later. I did buy this from an old friend and he gave me a good deal.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Several years ago I purchased a Blue Sky import at auction for $525. It was the first carbine to sell out of 70 or so. The kicker was it was wearing a high wood IP stock that I sold for somewhere in the $700 range then couple years later sold the carbine with a shooter stock for about the same.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 PM

Default Fun Quick And Easy ...

Even if you do have or do not have USGI or type inspection gauges, about the only way one can judge accuracy and function potential is to just shoot the Carbine off a bench rest with known ammo and see how it works. No real other way.

But ... if you have all the neat fun gauges, it is quick, easy and fun to gauge the carbine. Progressive barrel straightness gauges; muzzle and chamber erosion gauges and exact head space gauges. You might have to drop the stock to see.

A good strong bore light will let you determine the rifling condition. All of this can be done in only a few minutes. The seller may or may not let you do this. Know the seller. We are shooters and not collectors. I find all of this much fun. Just me.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:57 PM

Bryan, just for comparison, I picked up a early Winchester 1,058,000 with a Benica rebuild Inland stock, mixmaster with a heavy BSI stamp on the original W marked barrel ($&#@!) for $699 OTD in 2016.
The thing shoots like a house afire.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTango View Post
I recently gave $500 for a Blue Sky IBM. It is heavily stamped, but shoots good. Sooner or later Iíll run across an unstamped IBM barrel. Iíll then swap them out, or save it for later. I did buy this from an old friend and he gave me a good deal.
Where can I get one of those! My wife is retiring from IBM after 41 years and I want to get her an IBM Carbine for a retirement present. Anything near that price would be a find for me.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 PM

When thet first came into the US they were quite common. I think we were paying $129.00 each if you bought 10. I had quite a few. Only found one where bore was constricted by import stamp. Most were great shooters and the first quantity since the DCM carbines in the 1960s. As far as todays prices I think that $800.00 to $900.00 would be a fair deal with good bore.