Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Default AP ammo has got expensive

I have noticed ever since the CMP has sold the AP ammo the prices have been going up and up. It started around $120 for a can when the first of it arrived on the market. I now see it cresting $200. I could have bought it for around $150 until there was a surplus in it. Now I see the greed in people looking to see how high people are willing to go. I know there are a lot of people who do not know what it sold for and I dont care what they do with it. I'm just amazed what people are a. asking and b. paying.
I'm glad I got mine from the CMP and I also have some LC stashed away from when none of it was pricey.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 AM

may be influenced by the discovery that most was really non-corrosive. I know that influenced how many i ordered from the CMP when it was thought to be corrosive
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Talking

I assume this is the stuff being sold on Gunbroker?

One way to find out if it's the CMP stuff is "Ask the seller" some questions:

1. Is this this the same stuff recently being sold by CMP for $60 a can?

2. Have you determined what % of rounds have corrosion on the cases or bullets and will you accept a return if the buyer opens a can and finds corroded ammo?

If you do ask those questions I'd love to know which auctions you post those questions on so I can go read the answers?

I.B. Waitin

Last edited by I.B. Waitin; 07-15-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
i have noticed ever since the cmp has sold the ap ammo the prices have been going up and up. It started around $120 for a can when the first of it arrived on the market. I now see it cresting $200. I could have bought it for around $150 until there was a surplus in it. Now i see the greed in people looking to see how high people are willing to go. I know there are a lot of people who do not know what it sold for and i dont care what they do with it. I'm just amazed what people are a. Asking and b. Paying.
I'm glad i got mine from the cmp and i also have some lc stashed away from when none of it was pricey.
greed?? Nope just what the market will bear, why would antone buy something then sell it for the same price? I know if i sell something im going to get every penny i can for it, iam not a charity :d
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.B. Waitin View Post
I assume this is the stuff being sold on Gunbroker?

One way to find out if it's the CMP stuff is "Ask the seller" some questions:

1. Is this this the same stuff recently being sold by CMP for $60 a can?

2. Have you determined what % of rounds have corrosion on the cases or bullets and will you accept a return if the buyer opens a can and finds corroded ammo?

If you do ask those questions I'd love to know which auctions you post those questions on so I can go read the answers?

I.B. Waitin
It really makes no difference what they paid for it so WHY bring it up? If you don't like the price, the best thing to do is just ignore the post and look elsewhere. Why waste your time asking the seller a bunch of questions if you have no intention of buying it?
Also, do you really expect anyone to Guarantee a sealed can of ammo nearly 55 yrs. old? WOW
*ps...not my ammo, just a bystander. I'm going to shoot the stuff I got!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM

My point is that now that there is a surplus the prices are higher than when it was scarce.
I see it for sale on auction sites and all the firearms forums I visit. Don't get me wrong. I could not care less what people are selling it for. I just can't understand why they would pay those high prices. Especially when you can get it for $120ish if you look. I just saw it going for $200 a can while another member had the same stuff for $125
Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Thumbs up Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy85 View Post
greed?? Nope just what the market will bear, why would antone buy something then sell it for the same price? I know if i sell something im going to get every penny i can for it, iam not a charity :d
Respectfully to everyone, I'm not looking to flame, insult, single anyone out or start a war, this is just my personal opinion.

I agree Deputy, it's a free market and it's what ever the market will bear, God Bless America! If folks weren't paying those prices then they would come down. If we didn't know the AP ammo recently sold for $69.95 then we wouldn't be complaining.

Look at the prices folks are willing to pay here on the For Sale section, it's what they are willing to pay and they are happy they are getting it. But boy a lot of folks will wish they waited if more AP comes over from Greece, still a lot of ammo being sorted and shipped over.

Folks complain about stuff like this all the time anymore these days, but think nothing of paying a $1.50 for a coffee or soda at a drive through they costs pennies, and I do it all the time too LoL. How about the price of a SlimJim? Figure out how much per pound you spending on that piece of beef!

Free market is what built this country, now it's pounded into us on the daily news and by "some" in office that those who worked their azz off, took the big risks and now reap the rewards from their sweat and blood, that they are the "evil rich ones". I'm sick of hearing it, it boils down to mentality of "I'm jealous of what you have and it's not fair. Where's my fair share that I'm entitled too?". You folks who have/had parents that lived through WWII and the depression, did your parents raise you with that attitude? Not mine, I see a different mindset these days and it's sad.

The "rich" pay over 90% of the taxes in this country! (Someone post the exact percentage please.) Those in government who make them out to be so evil really Love them and know damn well without them the government wouldn't float, it's class war fair, WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Of course the people in the communists countries don't have this complaint, all is equal. Ask them how they like their lives and ask them if it's so great, why are they flooding to America?

My 2 cents (and I earned it)
Guy Wilson

Be careful what you wish for.....

http://m1collectorsclub.com
Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
It really makes no difference what they paid for it so WHY bring it up?
Why not ask?

The seller has placed his or her wares in an open market place and set their price expectations which is a reasonable part of the process. Good for them.

Q&A is a reasonable part of the process too and the system accomodates it. Good for everyone....unless the seller has something to hide.

Caviat emptor.

I.B. Waitin
Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.B. Waitin View Post
Why not ask?

The seller has placed his or her wares in an open market place and set their price expectations which is a reasonable part of the process. Good for them.

Q&A is a reasonable part of the process too and the system accomodates it. Good for everyone....unless the seller has something to hide.

Caviat emptor.

I.B. Waitin
I'm trying to think of some commercial transaction where it is normal to ask what the seller paid for it...can't think of one where I have ever done it. Honestly IB, how often do you do that?

Heck, when I buy some military collectable I DON'T want to know what that guy bought it for 5, 10, or 50 years ago - it's just depressing
Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM

If CMP tried to sell 22000 cans of AP for $200 a can they would have to set on it for 15years to unload that much on the market.
A few cans selling for $200 doesnt make that the market price.

Tags
ammo, armor piercing, greed