Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 AM

At the last WAC show a seller was asking $10 a clip for AP. He sold an entire can in one day. Thats $240 a can. It has been $10 a clip for years with him and he was sold out till the CMP release. Now that the CMP has no more it is irrelavant what it sold for from them. Lots of people want a clip or two just to show off not to shoot. I have never had trouble finding AP ammo in the past but it has always been in small amounts a clip or two at a time. Not rare and not really worth $1 a can but that is what it will sell for.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM

I'm feeling old now, because I can remember when AP ammo was fairly cheap and plentiful; nothing special. What good is it, really, other than just shooting ammo?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM

On asking what someone paid for their AP that they are selling: you can instead ask where they got it, or, more directly ask if they bought it from the CMP.

On a house sale: in most states, you can readily find out what the seller paid for it, so it's not a good analogy.

I've bought AP a clip at a time - that's how i got a lot of what i have. Not cheap, but you can get some variety, like LC or WRA AP clips.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 AM

To reply to the topic title, its not that AP ammo has not got expensive, its been expensive!

AP prices before the CMP released their stash was $1-$2 per round. All depending on condition, date, quantity and manfacturer. The reason it was selling so low after the release from the CMP is because they flooded the market, and people foolishly thought the prices were going to stay low. I remember telling members on this forum when they were **********ing about missing out on the release to buy it while it is still low. Now I bet they are starting to believe me. Sealed spam cans of US non corrosive AP is just about best of the best. I honestly think it is about the best investment you could make right now.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacMike View Post
On asking what someone paid for their AP that they are selling: you can instead ask where they got it, or, more directly ask if they bought it from the CMP.
And the point would be....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacMike View Post
On a house sale: in most states, you can readily find out what the seller paid for it, so it's not a good analogy.
True, but I doubt a buyer will get in the face of the seller and ask the question - unless you aren't really interested in buying and get some satisfaction from doing so.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM

Blockhead...it's obvious you get it! I simply don't understand the fixation some people have on knowing what a seller paid for something. Is it so they can complain about how much he's making on the sale? It makes NO difference. If you don't like the price forget about it and move on.
Where the seller got it is a fair question but how much he paid for it is none your business.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:47 AM

Oh Mr. Wilson, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Calling a Slim Jim a piece of beef is quite a stretch isnt it ?
My two cents (I found it)
Dennis the men...., er I mean jon
Old 07-17-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Mr. Wilson View Post
Free market is what built this country, now it's pounded into us on the daily news and by "some" in office that those who worked their azz off, took the big risks and now reap the rewards from their sweat and blood, that they are the "evil rich ones"....

The "rich" pay over 90% of the taxes in this country! (Someone post the exact percentage please.)
Guy Wilson
Actually, this country was not built by a free market, but by ordinary people who worked hard and persevered, often in the face of some very unjust market practices. Ever hear of people having to buy from the "company store?"

As for the rich. You'll be comforted to know that after paying 90% of the taxes, they still have 95% of the wealth. But the rich are glad to know that you understand their need for a tax cut so they can have 96% or 97% of the wealth in this country, instead of just 95%.

None of which has anything to do with the price of ammo. The CMP obviously felt like they needed to move it in a hurry, given the price and how quickly it has shipped--AP obviously got high priority in the warehouse. They know their business better than any of us and doubtless had good reasons for doing what they did. So in that situation, if somebody wants to take the risk and carry a credit card balance on a big buy, while selling some off to recoup the costs and hopefully turn a profit, I don't see why anyone needs to whine about it. If Orest doesn't care, then neither should anybody else.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 AM

howcome nobody's yelling: "how much did CMP pay for the stuff???"

OR the Greeks: how much did they charge Century or whoever???

(hohoho)
Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM

This reminds me of the guy that asked me how much I paid for the tin of HPX I was offering as part of a trade (thinking I got the tin at the CMP). I guess he was figuring he'd have better leverage with on trade that way I guess - when I told him I bought the tin at the Medina Gun show for notably more (I still had the receipt) - it actually backfired on him as it made me really look at what he was offer in trade verses what I had and I passed on the deal.

Tags
ammo, armor piercing, greed