Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2020, 03:05 PM

Wow, a power washer?! I would have imagined that to be a bit extreme on 70 y.o. canvas products that one wanted preserve. But, I guess there are some exceptionally grimy slings out there where a power washing might be the last resort to get them clean. I'm a novice so it's a pleasure to read about the many approaches used.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen View Post
Wow, a power washer?! I would have imagined that to be a bit extreme on 70 y.o. canvas products that one wanted preserve.
I've seen a power washer used on hand-made oriental carpets.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:20 PM

Default Deodorizer

Someone mentioned about dryer sheets to remove odors. I deal in old books and sometimes need to remove old musty odors from paper. There are book deodorizer granules that do an excellent job and are reusable. Mine came from http://bookrepairsupply.com/shop-2/b...ok-deodorizer/ but there are other vendors who carry the same product.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:04 AM

To clarify..Power washer isnt used point blank. The presoaked slings just need a little "coaxing" to penetrate the fabric of the webbing, and this is where the power washer shines. I did many this way and even the oldest, nastiest sling came out very nice with no color loss, damage, etc. The ones I did literally made a small river of brown cruddy gunk when power washed. Sun-dry them afterwards.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Not to jack your post but where could one get one of those 1944 or older web sling sets? I dont live near any of the stores. Thanks
Old 03-10-2020, 03:53 PM

Parris Island-- 1969, we scrubbed them with bristle brush and soap!

Parris Island-- 1974-1976, we put them in to mess laundry bags and threw them into the washing machine with Wisk detergent, for final inspection!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:33 PM

Like 8511, I have washed slings in mesh bags in the washing machine on the delicate cycle. I have used a small amount of Dawn dish detergent since they frequently are stained with oil. I don't think that anyone should expect that washing will entirely spare markings but on the gentle cycle, the markings generally aren't lightened too much.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:11 AM

I had good luck using "green" brake cleaner. Do it outside and wear safety glasses. I put the sling in a large glass jar and spray it down. I then put lid on the jar and shake it up.
I repeat till the brake cleaner no longer looks dirty. I then hang it outside to dry.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:57 AM

I collect WW2 USMC 782 gear ( deuce ) and use nothing more than brushing with a horse brush from the 1900's. No water, no soap, just a good brushing.