Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Default My first M1: Build or CMP

This is my first post to the forum and are very excited to learn ad much as possible for you guys! I am very familiar with building AR15s and other bolt action long guns ranging in any 700 Remington from the ground up, Chambering, truing actions, threading, and much more. I've been wanting to add a M1 to the collection for sometime now! My grandfather served in Korea and I've wanted to build a rifle in his memory. My question for all of you is should I look at building my first or purchase one from the north store? My goal eventually includes me and my rifle shooting in the national matches. What do I need to look for in a rifle that is store bought vs building one with newer components?

Also, are you allowed to shoot m1s chambered in 308 in the national matches? Sorry about the amount of questions? I really want to get this baby purchased or project started before my first baby comes at the end of August!

Thanks - Matt
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Not sure about matches but you could buy a barreled receiver and build one from there. I've heard many nice things about the barreled actions.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Building a Garand from parts is fun, however, based on parts prices it may be a better alternative to purchase a functional rifle directly from the CMP.
A trip to one of the CMP stores is a great way to find a Garand. Many experienced Garand collectors usually are present not to mention the CMP guys behind the counter.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightArrow55 View Post
Not sure about matches but you could buy a barreled receiver and build one from there. I've heard many nice things about the barreled actions.
The best deal going now is the barreled receivers with bolt. You can harvest the rest of the parts at your leisure. Be patient and look for the deals. They are out there. You will still probably spend close to or a little more than a service grade but this way you control what parts you use. If you don't rush you can get the parts you need for good prices. With the wait for service grades between 60 and 90 days you may be finished with your build before a service grade even ships out from CMP.
I built up a nice 6 digit and it is one of the two Garands I have left. Times are tight so several had to go but the one I built will stay.

"In life applied knowledge is wisdom, applied wisdom is enlightenment". Pick and choose your fights carefully.

Last edited by RdKryton; 01-29-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 AM

Default Buy one

Buy a nice Service Grade and you will be FAR better off. Building a barreled receiver will cost you a lot more......
Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 AM

If you don't mind parts missing park or some pitting you can build cheaper. You have to really watch for parts. I built one for just under $500 buying parts from the forum. Purchase some parts that are functional but may not be pretty. Receiver I bought had some pitting, barrel was good, i repaired a stock that had a crack etc.

The one I built can out shoot my service grade oddly enough.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM

I have built several Garands and do not see how it is possible to build one cheaper than you can buy one.
Do the math, it adds up very fast
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM

In my opinion, since you have access to the North Store, stop in and see what is being offered. Inventory fluctuates. Ask a lot of questions. Buying a complete rifle is the best value, unless you have the time and experience time to shop for deals. If you post when you will be there on the North Store section of the forum, maybe someone else here will be there too and can help you out.

My advice is to go and see what you can find. There are service grades out there with brand new barrels on them (if you can find one). Some field grades gauge GREAT, but may have some finish wear or a beater stock. If you can't find something that makes you happy, then build one. Check out the barreled receivers with a bolt, shop the forum and get a brand new stock from Dupage Trading Company.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 AM

If I were only allowed one Garand I would buy a Service Grade and forget about building. If I could buy one now and then wanted another later, I would buy a Service or Field Grade first. Then down the road take my time and casually put one together for fun. The Field Grades are a good deal as well. They function fine. Bought a Field Grade and used it to put my .308 Navy together and it is a great and good looking shooter. Ironically I asked for an H&R Field Grade which had all Springfield parts except the rear sight (H&R). The Springfield parts were perfect for the 6 digit Springfield receiver with the .308 Navy barrel. I now have an excellent H&R barreled receiver left over to build on in the future if I desire. Haven't decided yet but I will keep my eyes open for H&R parts. I am of the opinion you can't build one cheaper than even a Service Grade. At least not at the prices I see at the shows in the Mid-Atlantic region. But, I may run into some bargains in the future, you never know. At least I have a couple nice Garands I can shoot while I am looking for parts for my project rifle.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I have built several Garands and do not see how it is possible to build one cheaper than you can buy one.
Do the math, it adds up very fast
Exactly right! However if you find yourself with an op rod, trigger group, stock, gas cylinder and internals at hand.............. it still doesn't make sense. Buy an SG.