Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Default M1903 Based Target Rifles

There was a time when target rifles as well as sporters were built on M1903 actions.

After I sold my M1903 service rifle collection I bought a few '03 target rifles.

This is on an 03-A4 receiver, polished and blued, headless cocking piece, Canjar trigger, set up for Redfield sights and is in .308 caliber. It is a beautiful rifle.

This is on an 03-A3 receiver, polished and blued, Obermeyer barrel, headless cocking piece, Dayton Traister trigger, set up for Redfield sights, laminated stock and is .308 caliber.

This one is on an 03-A3 receiver, polished and blued, Dayton Traister trigger, equipped with Lyman sights and is in .30/06 caliber.

“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)

Last edited by NMC_EXP; 03-08-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:05 PM

Beautiful rifles. Did you have any issues with feeding of the .308 round? Especially like the 03-A4. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:16 PM

Thanks Bruce.

I have not shot these as much as I'd like but so far no feeding issues. All I shoot anymore is prone so magazine feeding is not much of an issue.

The one on the A4 receiver just has classic good looks.

I bought the one with the Obermeyer barrel because it came with a vintage 24X Redfield 3200 smallbore scope. With what that scope is worth the rifle was nearly free. My wife uses the scope on the 40X she uses for smallbore F-class.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:36 PM

Very nice and thanks for posting. A post like this does get you wondering how many such rifles have been torn down and made into "replica" milsurps and something less than their previous sporterized versions.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:46 PM

Thanks and you're welcome.

Its obvious a lot of 03's were sporterized as hunting rifles. I have not seen many 03's that were turned into target rifles.

Back in the 80's when I competed a lot I knew one elderly gentleman who shot an 03 match rifle. There was still quite a few wood stock bolt gun competitors back then but is was 40Xs and Model 70s.

Last edited by NMC_EXP; 03-08-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post

Its obvious a lot of 03's were sporterized as hunting rifles. I have not seen many 03's that were turned into target rifles.

Back in the 80's when I competed a lot I knew one elderly gentleman who shot an 03 match rifle. There was still quite a few wood stock bolt gun competitors back then but is was 40Xs and Model 70s.
Thanks for the look back. Your rifles are accurate and works of art in that sense. But also pleasing to look at.
Michael Petrov documented many of the sporters as well, and I see no difference in the quality of both styles.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickax View Post
Thanks for the look back. Your rifles are accurate and works of art in that sense. But also pleasing to look at.
Michael Petrov documented many of the sporters as well, and I see no difference in the quality of both styles.

Mr Petrov was a real asset.

Target rifles don't need to be pleasing to the eye but I like them that way.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Beautiful target rifles.

I know that some gunsmiths would shorten the cocking piece as in one of your rifles. However, I also read somewhere that the shape of that cocking piece helped to deflect any gasses from a punctured primer. You might check into that and consider replacing it with an original style cocking piece.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Beautiful target rifles.

I know that some gunsmiths would shorten the cocking piece as in one of your rifles. However, I also read somewhere that the shape of that cocking piece helped to deflect any gasses from a punctured primer. You might check into that and consider replacing it with an original style cocking piece.
Thanks

Good point....According to the Brophy book, Springfield Armory offered headless cocking pieces and reversed safeties for a couple of years on their M1903 National Match grade rifles. That happed to coincide with a year at the National Matches when the ammo used had a lot of pierced primers.

Seems like it was the year Frankford tin plated the bullets to eliminate the "lumpy copper fouling" in the bore. That cold welded the bullet to the case and chamber pressure went way up. Or might have been the year when it was the fad to grease bullets to control copper fouling. Grease got into the chamber and bolt thrust went way up.

You are correct, the original cocking piece tended to deflect gas blow back away from the shooters eye. At minimum wear glasses when shooting one of these.

No doubt gunsmiths modified them as well.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:29 PM

I share your love for 1903 based target rifles. I've got several of them, including a Griffin and Howe "bull rifle", and several based on Remington and Springfield 1903's.