Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPD1979 View Post
On 5-26-17 I went to the North Store to purchase an M1. My buddy was there to get a carbine. Even though he was unsuccessful (most were sold by that time) I came home with a WW2 Correct, ser# 355XXXX, 3/45. They had 7 or 8 in the rack which had been picked over several times, but this was the only one with an NFR stock. It has a lot of scars and it's not perfect, it had seen a lot of use, but when I hold it in my hands and think where it has been in its travels, it brings a smile to my face. This is my 5th Garand . . great rifles.
Congrat's on your new rifle, would love to see some pic's, and welcome to the forum. Does CPD stand for what I think it does ?
Old 05-30-2017, 04:41 PM

Yes . . CPD stands for my PD. I retired after 25 years as a cop. 10 years as a Swat officer, and a firearms instructor. 3 years in Afghanistan as a police advisor training the Afghan National police and patrolling with the US military. I now instruct firearms for 2 local vocational schools for basic law enforcement, as well as being a bailiff for our muni court. As for pics, I'm an old guy. This was my first post. I tore the rifle down, cleaned it, and filled out a data sheet on it. I put 8 rounds thru it to check its functioning. What a great grandfather of a rifle! My dad carried one in Sicily and Italy in WW2. My father in law was in the 3rd Marine Division and was on Iwo. I have his paperwork. He was a light automatic rifleman (BAR) man. Both are now deceased. I currently don't know how to put pics on this site. Will work on it however. Thank you for your interest!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPD1979 View Post
Yes . . CPD stands for my PD. I retired after 25 years as a cop. 10 years as a Swat officer, and a firearms instructor. 3 years in Afghanistan as a police advisor training the Afghan National police and patrolling with the US military. I now instruct firearms for 2 local vocational schools for basic law enforcement, as well as being a bailiff for our muni court. As for pics, I'm an old guy. This was my first post. I tore the rifle down, cleaned it, and filled out a data sheet on it. I put 8 rounds thru it to check its functioning. What a great grandfather of a rifle! My dad carried one in Sicily and Italy in WW2. My father in law was in the 3rd Marine Division and was on Iwo. I have his paperwork. He was a light automatic rifleman (BAR) man. Both are now deceased. I currently don't know how to put pics on this site. Will work on it however. Thank you for your interest!

Thank's for your service both here and abroad. My father in law was with the 36th division and was in Italy too. I had a lot of family members in WW11 and that was one of the driver's in my garand interest, and now carbines too. Pic's aren't that tough, I am no youngster and eventually figured it out...Lol. My youngest son is with the CPD.

Edit to add...sounds like you scored a very nice, and historic rifle....congrat's...
Old 05-30-2017, 05:55 PM

God bless your father in law. These guys went thru hell. The greatest generation for sure. Since this rifle had a 3/45 date I don't think it saw service in WW2. I do feel however (and correct me if I may be wrong) that it could have been issued to the guys in Korea. It has scars, but still has a bore of 1 and a throat of 1+. Just sayin' . . . I'm a novice at this and I know you guys out there really know the skinny . . .
Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 PM

Hard to say where it's been and what it has seen, that's why everyone alway's say's..."if they could only talk" ....could have been used during the occupation's, Korea, vietnam, possibilities are endless. Is the chamber in white ? Any rebuild stamp's or firing proof's?

Last edited by Jonah; 05-30-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:48 PM

The chamber is white and looks good... It has no rebuild stamps on it and only has the original SA/NFR and small ordnance cartouche. Plus the smaller ordnance stamp on the bottom of the pistol grip. It has two numbers on it (92 - painted on comb and bottom of butt - toe) and (74 stamped on the bottom of pistol grip, and painted on the tang of grip behind the receiver.) It has not been (to my estimation) in an arsenal rebuild but is as issued. P.S. There are approx. 100 CPD's in this country. But I wish your son the best . .
Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 PM

I agree sound's like it hasn't been rebuilt, that's awesome. My son is in Chicago and I only wish it was some other CPD, thx for the well wishes.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:03 PM

Your son has his hands full in Chitown. My CPD is from Ohio. Now . . on my rifle, it still has the "battle range/lockbar sights on it, the late version with the squared off lockbar. I think that surely would have been changed on a rebuild.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:58 PM

Yes, I agree. There are some early post war rebuild's that have lockbar's because the new sight's weren't widely available from what I've read. Your rifle obviously was not in need of a rebuild yet in 46 or 47. Sound's like a beaut for sure.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas100 View Post
Thanks !! We will be stopping in anyway before heading to Sandusky. Hopefully they get a few more to set out but I always enjoy visiting the store either way. This will be her first visit and ironically she's looking forward to it about as much as I am.
So, did you stop by the store?
Did you pick anything up?
Was the GF impressed?...