Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM

WOW........just.....WOW.....
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that they put out the Winchesters and Specials on Saturday when most of us were on the line shooting the Garand match. I was there all week for the matches and stopped in almost every day. The stock changed little the entire time I was there. I can't imagine that the Winchesters just appeared out of thin air Friday night or early Saturday morning.

There were a few FGs on Friday 7/26 that flew off the racks while we were there and about a dozen HRA specials that didn't last long. I bought a barreled receiver and some ammo. I probably would have bought a Winchester had it been available for me.

As for rude service, well they are who they are. I spoke to Bob about the Navy BRs and the high TEs. He said there were some good ones but they were all picked over quite a while ago. He basically talked me out of buying one. I wouldn't say he was the friendliest fellow, and by Southern standards I guess that could be construed as rude, but he didn't seem like a jerk. A buddy of mine asked Woody for some gun smithing advice on a CMP Special he had purchased a while back. Woody basically told him, "you bought it, it's your problem now."

I think that working the Nationals at Camp Perry is a pretty tiring and thankless job for a lot of those guys. Everybody and their brother asks the same things over and over. Or in the case of Woody, probably asks for small favors at the CMP trailer. Once or twice is okay, but when thousands hit you with the same questions and requests repeatedly, it's going to take a toll. I don't hold it against them.

LarryK
Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84bravo View Post
I'm a bit disappointed to hear that they put out the Winchesters and Specials on Saturday when most of us were on the line shooting the Garand match. I was there all week for the matches and stopped in almost every day. The stock changed little the entire time I was there. I can't imagine that the Winchesters just appeared out of thin air Friday night or early Saturday morning.

There were a few FGs on Friday 7/26 that flew off the racks while we were there and about a dozen HRA specials that didn't last long. I bought a barreled receiver and some ammo. I probably would have bought a Winchester had it been available for me.

As for rude service, well they are who they are. I spoke to Bob about the Navy BRs and the high TEs. He said there were some good ones but they were all picked over quite a while ago. He basically talked me out of buying one. I wouldn't say he was the friendliest fellow, and by Southern standards I guess that could be construed as rude, but he didn't seem like a jerk. A buddy of mine asked Woody for some gun smithing advice on a CMP Special he had purchased a while back. Woody basically told him, "you bought it, it's your problem now."

I think that working the Nationals at Camp Perry is a pretty tiring and thankless job for a lot of those guys. Everybody and their brother asks the same things over and over. Or in the case of Woody, probably asks for small favors at the CMP trailer. Once or twice is okay, but when thousands hit you with the same questions and requests repeatedly, it's going to take a toll. I don't hold it against them.

LarryK
If you have problems with the Special and you haven't had it quite awhile yet, call customer service. They are first rate and will help. If it's something else, try the CMP armorer at the Matches. They may be willing to give some advice if they aren't busy.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Actually, we did talk to the CMP armorer at the Matches. That was Woody. My buddy has a CMP Special with a new Criterion barrel that appears to be a bit short chambered and some Lake City rounds were getting stuck on the lands. A quick kiss with a reamer would fix the problem, but it was near the end of a long day and he was dealing with some knuckle heads weighing their triggers before us and he clearly just didn't want to deal with it. We weren't expecting him to ream a chamber right there on the spot at Camp Perry, but he had no patience for messing with it. I can't say as I blame him considering the heavy load they work during the matches.

Last edited by 84bravo; 08-07-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:11 PM

I would go through customer service, then. I'm sure they will take care of it for him.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:48 PM

84--When bullets hang up in the lands, it is not due to a short chamber. It is due to a short throat which is cut when Criterion has the barrel. Don't allow anyone to use a finish reamer in your rifle--you need a throating reamer. Grabbing LC M2 is a well known phenom--use the search. Good Shooting.......
Old 08-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Maybe it is just regional differences and being a Texan I'm not used to it.
Still the guy on the left of the counter came off as being really bothered by my presence and it seemed to bug him when I asked for two cans of ammo. He snatched up an order sheet scribbled the part number on it and slung it across the counter as he was turning his back on me. The other guy had to tell me what to do with the paperwork.
I never asked nor said a word about the bare racks so be had no reason to be peeved.
When I picked up the two cans from the outside window I did ask the more friendly guy when they were putting out new items. He said, just a few per day and they were usually gone in 15 minutes.
Even in Farmington New Mexico where I lived for ten years I got better service than that and those folks have never even heard of customer service.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
84--When bullets hang up in the lands, it is not due to a short chamber. It is due to a short throat which is cut when Criterion has the barrel. Don't allow anyone to use a finish reamer in your rifle--you need a throating reamer. Grabbing LC M2 is a well known phenom--use the search. Good Shooting.......
Thanks, Ceresco. That was one of the things we were trying to talk to the armorer about just what the problem was. He was not interested in dealing with our questions. Long day for him, I suppose.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 PM

Bravo- A bit too late, but see John McLean at the Matches, usually in the trailer. Extremely helpful guy, and you'll see him on the firing line as well. Oh, BTW, he's based in Anniston.