Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2018, 02:18 PM

Default .223 Hornady ELD-M

Hi everyone. Is anyone here running Hornady ELD-M bullets in your .223 AR and seating them to mag length? If so, pros, cons? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 PM

I do run them, but not to mag length. I'm shooting the 75 ELD-M on long line. I sent an email to Hornady when they first came out, looking for the specifics as the BCs and load data were not yet published. They informed me that the 73 is intended for mag length loading, the 75 and (not released yet at the time 80) are intended for single load lengths and basically replace the A-max of same weights with similar BCs and physical dimensions although the angle of the boat tail has been increased slightly and that I should use A max data with usual cautions with these.

Running the BC vs Velocity numbers, I saw little gain with the 73 vs their 75HPBT which I also shoot. The 75 ELD on the other hand has been a real 10 finder for me at 600. Noticeably less wind drift and significantly less come up than the 80 Nosler I had been shooting, and they group well for me in my 1:8 RRA. I shot them side by side in a practice in same conditions, and made the decision to switch over immediately.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 PM

Thanks Polaris. I have recently got a RRA NM A2 rifle and been trying different loads. I wasnt for sure on the ELDs fitting so i went with Hornady 75 HPBT and so far they have shown good results at 100 yards. Havent had a chance to put some distance on them. If i can figure it out, I will try to post a pic of what they did at 100.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtbaker1989 View Post
Thanks Polaris. I have recently got a RRA NM A2 rifle and been trying different loads. I wasnt for sure on the ELDs fitting so i went with Hornady 75 HPBT and so far they have shown good results at 100 yards. Havent had a chance to put some distance on them. If i can figure it out, I will try to post a pic of what they did at 100.
That's pretty much my go to. I run both 75s over either 23.5 Varget and 24 R15...HPBT and ELD respectively. I use the HPBT for 200 and 300 yards at mag length, the ELD at Hornady's listed COL for the A-max for 600. Didn't feel the need to mess with the COL on the ELD, they shot well with my first attempt. Have also used the HPBT at 600 yards to good effect, but I'm starting to flirt with clean targets at this range so I switched to a proper long line bullet to try and get the extra edge and split a line or 2 to get there. The ELD definitely uses less come-up and windage than the 75HPBT at 600.

Last edited by Polaris; 03-21-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:57 PM

This RRA was new. I have 68 rounds thru it so far. I started off with hornady 68 hpbt and they didnt do well at all. Almost killed my confidence in the gun. But switched to the 75s and the groups came in much tighter. Havent got a chance to check the speed of the 75s, but the 68s with 24.0 varget was going 2800 which was very close to what the newest hornady manual stated. Also using same charge and powder for the 75s
Old 03-21-2018, 03:06 PM

One was a 3 shot group. Other was a 5 shot group. The flyer was prolly my fault.
This is using the 75s with 24g of varget. So far im happy with it and I think it will do good in a match.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtbaker1989 View Post

One was a 3 shot group. Other was a 5 shot group. The flyer was prolly my fault.
This is using the 75s with 24g of varget. So far im happy with it and I think it will do good in a match.
Yeah, I'd say you're in good shape for match shooting if you can control the loose screw behind the trigger. I think I still have my A2 iron come ups recorded for that load. I'll share in a bit to save you some homework OTC. I've cleaned the 200 and 300 rapids with that load. Using LC or TAA brass and an SB primer. Those 75s shoot and are a great bargain. I dropped to 23.5 as my primers looked a little flat in hot weather/barrel with my components/rifle. Both shot well.

Edit... with a 100 yard zero, I had +4 click at 200, +8 at 300 and aprox +31 at 600. These were 1/2MOA clicks. YRMV. Good shooting!

Last edited by Polaris; 03-21-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Yeah, I'd say you're in good shape for match shooting if you can control the loose screw behind the trigger. I think I still have my A2 iron come ups recorded for that load. I'll share in a bit to save you some homework OTC. I've cleaned the 200 and 300 rapids with that load. Using LC or TAA brass and an SB primer. Those 75s shoot and are a great bargain. I dropped to 23.5 as my primers looked a little flat in hot weather/barrel with my components/rifle. Both shot well.

Edit... with a 100 yard zero, I had +4 click at 200, +8 at 300 and aprox +31 at 600. These were 1/2MOA clicks. YRMV. Good shooting!
Thanks alot! My irons are 1/4MOA clicks. Im using LC brass and BR Remington primers. Dont know how much it helps, only "special" thing i have done to the brass is turn the necks to be more even.
That loose screw behind the trigger is the hardest thing to control!