Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2018, 05:21 PM

Default Midway- Another Freebie which really ain't!

Midway seems to be using this practice more and more. First a few weeks ago I get an email from Midway "free shipping" on purchases over $99.00. OK I need .45 bullets so I order 1000, go to check out and "free shipping does not apply to this item". Too heavy...

I get a Midway flyer yesterday in the mail and I see Free Hazmat Fee on CCI primers. Oh, I need primers and I use CCI- perfect time to get some.

The order must be $150.00 minimum, so I pick 5000 large primers, and they cost $149.99. OK .01 cents short, I add some reloading labels, won't work has to be primers. So I added 1000 more primers and the free haz mat was applied to only the 5K primers, but was not waived for the 1K primers, so there is NO DEAL! I would have to pay haz mat anyway, and the price for 1000 prices is higher than in 5000 lots making the deal even worse.

I have been buying from Midway for 30 years or so, Potterfield is a multimillionaire, got that from a knowledgeable source. You think he could put on a sale that really was a deal.

I find this type of shady free offers offensive.

Sparx

Last edited by sparx; 02-27-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 PM

There's always a gimmick to get you to buy!

Too bad were not close. I have about 50k primers over what I need.

Potterfield probably has no idea what's going on with the day-to-day operation of Midway USA.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparx View Post
Midway seems to be using this practice more and more. First a few weeks ago I get an email from Midway "free shipping" on purchases over $99.00. OK I need .45 bullets so I order 1000, go to check out and "free shipping does not apply to this item". Too heavy...

I get a Midway flyer yesterday in the mail and I see Free Hazmat Fee on CCI primers. Oh, I need primers and I use CCI- perfect time to get some.

The order must be $150.00 minimum, so I pick 5000 large primers, and they cost $149.99. OK .01 cents short, I add some reloading labels, won't work has to be primers. So I added 1000 more primers and the free haz mat was applied to only the 5K primers, but was not waived for the 1K primers, so there is NO DEAL! I would have to pay haz mat anyway, and the price for 1000 prices is higher than in 5000 lots making the deal even worse.

I have been buying from Midway for 30 years or so, Potterfield is a multimillionaire, got that from a knowledgeable source. You think he could put on a sale that really was a deal.

I find this type of shady free offers offensive.

Sparx
Sparx - I'm with you brother - but you need to tell it to the man!
Old 02-27-2018, 07:35 PM

I agree. I looked at the same deal but it just didn't make any sense. I'll wait for the local gun show or Midsouth to have a deal. I like midway and have bought plenty from them but their deals are insane. Quit excluding everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM

My recommendation would be:
1. Calm down.
2. Call the Customer Service number/ordering number.
3. Calmly explain your concerns, and ask them to confirm you are reading everything correctly.
4. Ask them if there is something that can be done differently to achieve your desired savings.

Most of the time they like making the customer happy. Numerous times I have had suppliers simply waive shipping/hazmat, or suggest a minor cost item to add that will qualify me for the discount. But I treated them with respect from the beginning.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:39 PM

Midway is my favorite. Their prices are consistently lower than what I can buy things for locally and they usually have everything I need for shooting as long as it's not extremely specific. Their order processing time is lightning fast, and their order page saves my information, kinda like Amazon, and is nearly one click. On top of these benefits, they are a conservative organization and do not charge me state tax (in my case, 9%). I order from them about every other month.

I build up my wishlist and wait for a shipping promotion. I never backorder an item. I just keep it in the wishlist and buy it on my next order. This prevents large shipping charges for small items. Also, the wishlist allows you to easily see when something you want goes on sale. Free shipping is a perk when they are offering a promotion. Imagine the amount of folks it takes to manage their inventory (massive). Larry is a patriot, NRA supporter, and has a heck of a lot of mouths to feed. I'm happy he's wealthy. He has brought millions and millions of dollars to the NRA.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
My recommendation would be:
1. Calm down.
2. Call the Customer Service number/ordering number.
3. Calmly explain your concerns, and ask them to confirm you are reading everything correctly.
4. Ask them if there is something that can be done differently to achieve your desired savings.

Most of the time they like making the customer happy. Numerous times I have had suppliers simply waive shipping/hazmat, or suggest a minor cost item to add that will qualify me for the discount. But I treated them with respect from the beginning.
I did this before I started the thread, been calm all today and yesterday.
The Midway Rep agreed with me that nothing could be done and it was an insulting policy. I cannot argue with that, and did not press it, he was cool, and he does not make these policies.
I don't need the product badly, just wanted to take advantage of their sale, which is: NO SALE in the truth.
sparx
Old 03-01-2018, 09:35 AM

A couple of months ago I ordered 5000 primers from them and it came to $149.99, but I got the free hazmat. Someone else on here said that it was the same for them. My gripe about Midway right now is the flyers they send out. Very few of the items listed have an actual price. Most everything says "from $4.99 to $269.99." etc. You have to call in to find out what the item you are wanting costs. I just threw one of their flyers away yesterday because it has no real use. I wish they would save the money they spend on the flyers and give a real price break.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 AM

I remember his 'fair and honest shipping'. What a joke
Old 03-01-2018, 11:55 AM

Thumbs up

I never have any problems with shipping or rebates at Midway. Sometimes their prices aren't the lowest so I shop around though usually they will have items in stock that others don't. I buy from them all the time. They are fast and the shipping costs are quite a bit lower than others often making up for slightly higher prices. No hate and discontent from me. I've found that any confusion about discounts, rebates, HAZMAT or shipping costs can be easily resolved with a simple phone call. You can't do everything on-line or with Customer Service links. It takes longer and often fails anywhere. Often, anywhere, it's best to use a CS email link for important inquiries so you have a record of the question or concern. I do that everywhere I can and it has saved me a lot of grief in several occasions elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C. Lovell View Post
A couple of months ago I ordered 5000 primers from them and it came to $149.99, but I got the free hazmat. Someone else on here said that it was the same for them. My gripe about Midway right now is the flyers they send out. Very few of the items listed have an actual price. Most everything says "from $4.99 to $269.99." etc. You have to call in to find out what the item you are wanting costs. I just threw one of their flyers away yesterday because it has no real use. I wish they would save the money they spend on the flyers and give a real price break.
Yeah, their flyers really suck. Especially the "Prices to low to list" crap you have to put in the cart to see. What a total PITA. But, it's a typical marketing gimmick they almost all use. Like WalMart or Costco moving stuff around so you have to go everwhere to find what you want. The more you have to search the more you buy and that's a simple fact....you know it is.

Last edited by Big_Red; 03-03-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts again