Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Metric size Boxer primers..???

Pair of painters I hired two years ago stole a bunch of my brass.........didnt find out for some time. They did leave 1000 or so 9mm & several hundred .45s....... Figured I would reload these & put them in my attached heated garage.

I am loading 9s now.....Some of these have military style swagged primers. They are marked "93" at 6 o'clock position, "L" at 9, "Y" at 3 & "9x19" at noon.

Since the cases were swagged, I cut the swage out with a tool I had made previously, leaving an appropriate bevel in its place. Now, CCI & Win. primers can be put into the pocket & dumped back out with no resistance.

Any one else hit this problem.?????

PJH
Old 03-21-2018, 02:54 PM

Are you saying the pockets are too big and primers are loose? Did you swage the crimps or cut them out?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 PM

Yes......pocket ID greater than OD of new primers...actually fall out of their own wt..

I cut a 45d. angle about .015 deep just enough to reshape the end of the primer pocket.....no cut in the pocket, I do not have a tool for the pockets. I did all the brass the same way after finding the culprits. All other brands with the same swag cut work normally.

PJH
Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 PM

I'm bored, so I did some digging through a few sites that archive cartridge headstamps and codes. This is Norinco 9mm. The Chinese probably didn't take into consideration the reloadability of their brass. Sounds like you have scrap metal. https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=461561
Old 03-21-2018, 07:20 PM

There were two boxes of Norinco 9mm ammo in with some plastic bullet 7.62x39 that I had bought 25 years ago..........that would account for the brass. I have a scrap bucket for this kind of junk.

PJH
Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 AM

If it has crimped primers, it may have been plenty hot. Primer pockets may have expanded on firing.

When we got our first Berettas in the '80s, we were buying ammo from the Israelis. It was so hot we were getting slide cracks at around 3000 rounds.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 03-25-2018, 04:40 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
Pair of painters I hired two years ago stole a bunch of my brass.........didnt find out for some time. They did leave 1000 or so 9mm & several hundred .45s....... Figured I would reload these & put them in my attached heated garage.

I am loading 9s now.....Some of these have military style swagged primers. They are marked "93" at 6 o'clock position, "L" at 9, "Y" at 3 & "9x19" at noon.

Since the cases were swagged, I cut the swage out with a tool I had made previously, leaving an appropriate bevel in its place. Now, CCI & Win. primers can be put into the pocket & dumped back out with no resistance.

Any one else hit this problem.?????

PJH
This would be highly unusual. Are you sure you are using LARGE rifle primers and not small. Just asking. You wouldn't be the first to make that mistake.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:12 PM

Please note, "9mm".......

PJH
Old 03-25-2018, 07:29 PM

Oops. Duh.