Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2018, 07:51 AM

Default Frankford Arsenal Platinum Rotary Tumbler

Since it's been around a few years now I'd like to hear your opinions on this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...mbler-110-volt

Do they hold up under heavy use?
Is it built to last?
How much 223, 30-06, 308 brass are you fitting in there at once and it actually cleans them? I've read a review or two where people were putting in 500 223's at once with good results, is that true?
Any other pro's/cons or other thoughts/opinions about this unit?

I'm already wet tumble with stainless, just the 'ol Thumlers doesn't have much capacity

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2018, 04:12 PM

I've been using mine since it first came out. I love it!. It produces beautiful brass. Load it up, small squirt of Dawn, 1/4 teaspoon of lemishine and let it run. If it's springtime muddy pickup type brass I run it for 30-45 minutes and dump the dirty water. I then start my process and let it run for 2 hours.
Grumpa72
Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 PM

The best piece of equipment I've ever had. Mine is 3 years old and I've done thousands and thousands of cases per year in it loaded to the hilt. Never a hiccup. The brass cleans like new inside and out including primer pockets. A couple squirts of Dawn or car wash and wax (preferred) and a tablespoon of Lemishine does the trick. There are some tricks to efficiently wash out the pins using a tumble media separator that all the instructions fail to explain. Dry cases at low temp in the oven or out on a towel in the sun. I just run mine for three hours, separate and rinse then dry...perfect brass. Every so often you'll find a pin stuck sideways in the primer pocket or case neck. That's very infrequent though.

But, unless you do large batches of brass you are better off just using a vibratory for smaller batches. A wet tumbler is just too time consuming for small batches IMHO. I don't use it for batches of brass smaller than 4-500 cases.

They do clean up well though.

If you don't use wash and wax just stick a little pack of desiccant in the bag with your stored brass unless you don't mind it turning gold colored. The wash and wax helps prevent that though I still put in the desiccant pads.

Last edited by lapriester; 03-24-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:44 AM

The only down side to this is if you need brass today you are probably out of luck. Yes, you can dry them in the oven (only if my wife doesn't care) but I find that mine will air dry in one afternoon in the sun or even 1-2 days on the garage floor in the winter.

I've never tried car soap because Dawn does such a nice job of really cleaning them.

Grumpa72

Last edited by grumpa72; 03-25-2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2018, 06:56 AM

Looks very interesting. I've been using Thumlers for quite a time and dry my cases recently in the Frankford Arsenal dryer. About an hour and a full load is dry. They seem to have the highest power drying element and set at 165 it is one f the quickest.
May just have to pick up one of those tumblers too. Looks easier to get the brass in and out with the screw caps. Thumlers has 6 bolts with wing nuts and if you are in a hurry, a bit of a pain in the butt.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 03-25-2018, 07:27 AM

I had it and liked it, but stopped using it due to all the extra time and steps to clean the brass. For me, a tumbler with walnut is good enough, especially since my time to reload is limited by toddlers that dont want to nap
Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 AM

DNM,
That can be an issue but I am retired so not for me. Oth, I am busy enough that I fill the container with brass, water, soap and pins and set it for the required time. I walk away and then come back in 2-3 hours. I then rinse and separate the pins from brass and lay them out on the towel to dry. I have perhaps 15 minutes in the rinse/dry period which is my longest commitment in one sitting to the process. It works for me.

I got tired of the walnut/corn cob dust floating around and I even was using car wax or mineral spirits to help keep the dust down. I am always worried about the crap that comes off of these pieces of brass when vibrating them in media.

grumpa72
Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Absolutely. I tumble outside in a shed or barn and then empty it outside as well. If I had the time I might go back to it. I never noticed a difference in accuracy with the differently cleaned brass, but it sure was alot prettier
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 AM

nf1e,
I just read the Amazon reviews of the FA dryer and it has 13% of the reviews are 1 or 2! Lots of complaints about the heater not working.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:38 AM

Keep the reviews of the tumbler coming guys. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

As for reviews, me personally, I'm much more likely to leave a review of it if I'm UNHAPPY with the product so I keep that in mind when reading reviews.