Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 08:05 PM

I've seen guys report all kind of serials for the CMP Specials. One recent rifle was a mid 1941 and another was a late 5 million. Check http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....114000&page=10 or the New Order thread if you feel like digging through everything else.

They build the CMP Specials, so I imagine they will have a ready pile to fill orders from. Put a sticky in with it for a post war and that will probably get you a better chance for what you want.

Also, I doubt they will have SA SGS rifles again. You could check the marketplace section here. I've seen one or two pop up in the last few days.

Last edited by rusty61820; 08-09-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added SA SGS info
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosinnewbe View Post
My '55 SA SG's receiver looks identical to my '55 HRA SGS's receiver except for the manufacturer stamp.

Most people dig WW2 rifles. The later year Garands (mid fifties) had the latest improvements though.
You are very very lucky to have gotten an H&R like that then. Out of the probable thousands of of H&R Rifles I have handled, I have probably only seen a couple or few that look identical to a Post War SA Receiver. In all those other cases, they have very different properties that make them look like an H&R Receiver.

I ended up going to the North Store and buying one of the Navy 7.62mm Barreled Receivers that was a 6 digit receiver. It was one of the nicest of the not too many that were left. It kind of "talked to me", when I held it, because of the very different look it has in the receiver as compared to my usual Post War rifles. It was surprisingly pristine in metal condition. I guess it got over looked because of the barrel TE. I don't know what kind of specs. those normally have on them, but I always seem to find some really nice receivers because I don't get "barrel lookie".

Danny
Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryan1203 View Post
Without knowing specifically your reasons for wanting a CMP Special, you could mail order for a Service Grade Special and get an as issued rifle for $45 less. And they're shipping them in like 30 days to boot, so you wouldn't have to wait as long.
The CMP Specials are still being made, as far as I know. The SA Service Grade Specials are gone, and the HRAs' are going to be gone, soon IMHO. Although they're as issued, they are also in near mint condition, inside and out, but they do have new wood, and stock metal parts. I was lucky enough to find some real nice USGI wood for mine, too. My CMP Special is a good shooter, but no better than the SGS's.

Charlie
Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Out of the probable thousands of of H&R Rifles I have handled, I have probably only seen a couple or few that look identical to a Post War SA Receiver. In all those other cases, they have very different properties that make them look like an H&R Receiver.
Anyone out there notice a difference in Post war receivers between HRA and SA?