Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM

Some suggestions for you. BassPro and Gander Mountain in the Maumee area. Jaquas in Findlay, OH. Cabelas in Dundee, MI. Fin Feather Fur in Ashland, OH. There are lots of other gun shops in Ohio depending on where you will be.

There is a wildlife area to the west of Port Clinton on route 2. If driving from Chicago, Notre Dame University is along the way.

If you give us an idea of what both of you like, we can give more suggestions.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 AM

I picked up a H&R M12 B/R last year in excellent condition thinking I could build it into a complete rifle. A lot going on at this time so that project is on hold for a while.

There are a few of the indoor water parks in the area with pretty good lodging facilities. We've had a few meetings in that area and they weren't to bad. I'm not sure how far out you'd like to go but the Rock Hall is in Cleveland around an hour away and the Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton about 1.5 Hrs away.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:54 AM

I thought about a Cavaliers game but they will be on the road. The Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame is a probable stop. I'll have to ask my wife about the waterparks. I'm interested in the aviation museum myself and my wife would probably like it too. As for expensive dinning, well we just had a real expensive Valentines day lunch (probably the most expensive lunch we've ever had as a couple) and next week we will drop $200 on our aniversary dinner (10 year) before the trip so I think we will be eating on a budget for this trip. Besides money spent on food is money not spent at the North Store lol.

GuapoPogi
Old 02-16-2016, 01:10 PM

I gave up on Notre Dame since they (in action) quit being Catholic - on the other hand the Studebaker museum is also in South Bend and (last exit in IN) the Auburn, Cord, Dusenberg museum is in Auburn IN as is the National Automotive ( muscle car?) (better check on that one) and Truck Museum is in the building behind it. I used to enjoy the drive from Chicago to Cleveland - LOTS to see and do on the way. Indiana was home to about 150 car (small-time) manufacturers in its day.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 AM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
I gave up on Notre Dame since they (in action) quit being Catholic - on the other hand the Studebaker museum is also in South Bend and (last exit in IN) the Auburn, Cord, Dusenberg museum is in Auburn IN as is the National Automotive ( muscle car?) (better check on that one) and Truck Museum is in the building behind it. I used to enjoy the drive from Chicago to Cleveland - LOTS to see and do on the way. Indiana was home to about 150 car (small-time) manufacturers in its day.
And don't forget that WWII Victory Museum in Auburn IN.

http://www.nationalmilitaryhistorycenter.org/
Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM

Thank you for the replies. I think we are going to hit the North Store, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Liberty Aviation Museum and National Military History Center (Formerly WWII Victory Museum). If my wife enjoys it, I'll try to convince her to make the trip again when there are matches going on. I've actually tried a few times to get her to get interested in competing in a match. Maybe we can squeeze some fishing on Lake Erie in on that trip. I wouldn't mind trying my luck on Lake Erie Musky although I don't know if there are any Musky guides around Port Clinton. Maybe some Smallmouth fishing would be fun.

GuapoPogi
Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 PM

there's been great smallmouth fishing there. Also walleye and (yellow) perch. Cleveland has a number of good museums - the Art Museum is well worth the visit (free, too). And heck, who can pass through without a visit to the Polka Museum or the Acordion museum (you tink I'm kiddink)? You sure you don't need to stay a month? Much better way to approach the NS... ten or fifteen consecutive visits...
Old 02-23-2016, 08:10 AM

Other things to do this coming weekend. The Port Clinton area will host its second annual "Burning of the Snowman" festival. I hear that they are expecting a lot of people for this event. I think it is centered around the Lagoon Saloon, which is close to Camp Perry. Google for details.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:50 AM

Also located in northern IN is Shipshawana. It's an Amish community that is quite nice with lots of shops and sights to see.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 AM

Burning The Snowman sounds interesting but it isn't until Saturday and I expect to ne back home by then. The Amish community sounds interesting and I'd like to stop there. I bet my wife would enjoy it too.

GuapoPogi