Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 PM

I had a little rust (only one Kimber) on the lock down knobs on the rear sight base. Not heavy rust on either of the two knobs, a little gun oil cleaned them right up. Funny, the sights were in a seal plastic bag too.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Has anyone thought about putting oil (BLO or PTO) on the Kimber stocks?
I put a coat of Howards Feed and Wax on mine (mail order from the last batch in Spring 2011) earlier this year and it still looks pretty nice.

If I were to do it again, I'd PTO the Kimber stock (based on recent experience applying PTO to a walnut Garand stock). My concern about putting the PTO on now is whether I have to strip off the wax from the Feed and Wax first (I suspect I should).

Any thoughts on what best to use to remove the wax (mineral spirits, acetone, etc) ?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 AM

Default Lost one of mine.

I picked up three last wed. shortly after they opened. Frank said 25 left the store in the first 18 minutes. They must have had quite a few. We got there at 8:50 and spent a half hour picking thru them. I set back two and was looking at another when they began bringing a few more out. Was able to grab two that had no scratches and swapped out one of the first two I put back. I had also found a nice near correct HRA SG that wanted to come home with me so I had to settle for just the three Kimber's to come home along with it for this trip.
When I called my buddy who had picked up a used kimber for his grandsons earlier, he conned me out of one of mine for his 'other' grandson. I ended up getting his custom built Colt/Essex 1911 .45 out of the deal. Although it hurt to let that kimber go, I guess I can live thru the grief and get over it at least for now!
good shooting, binlookin

Last edited by binlookin; 10-22-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: key board is missing strokes and I am missing its misses, I need to lay off buying guns and get a new confuser!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTTom106 View Post
Any thoughts on what best to use to remove the wax (mineral spirits, acetone, etc) ?
Acetone would do a fine job removing the wax - wipe it down, repeat if needed. The stock should soak the Tung oil in well, and you'll be on your way to an even more handsome stock.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM

I thought the Kimber stocks had a polyurethane finish? Can you apply an oil over that?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM

I hope everyone who wanted a 82G is able to obtain one during this, what may be, the last go around for them. They are the best 400 or so dollar purchase out there in the firearms world today. Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
I thought the Kimber stocks had a polyurethane finish? Can you apply an oil over that?
Nope - the poly would have to be removed with a chemical stripper first.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:51 PM

I read an article written by Wayne Van Zwoll on the Kimber. The number on the forearm is the size of the group in MM of 10 shots fired at 50 yards.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 PM

Old forum posts on the number on the stock.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....=Kimber+weight

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....=Kimber+weight