X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TwoGunChuck
    • Jan 2010

Audie Murphy Carbine Quotes

As a result of the "Carbine vs. Garand use in WWII" thread I picked up a copy of Audie Murphy’s book To Hell and Back (Holt Paperbacks, 2002; first published 1949). While Murphy uses many small arms (BAR, BMG, Garand, Carbine, Thompson, MG42, etc.) he seems to use the M1 Carbine more than anything else. Appears to be his primary arm from Anzio through to the end of the war. Below are a few passages.

"Within a moment I am involved in a duel with a German who climbs upon a cannon to get the advantage of elevation. I see him as he lowers his rifle upon me and whip up my carbine. He fires. The bullet kicks dust in my face as my carbine goes off. Frantically I try to blink the dirt from my eyes, knowing the German will not miss again. It is only a few seconds, perhaps, but it seems much longer before I can see. The kraut is sprawled in front of the gun. Later I discover that my lucky shot got him in the heart." (Chapter 15)

"Grasping the carbine in my left hand and a grenade in my right, I step suddenly from behind the rock. The Germans spot me instantly. The gunner spins the tip of his weapon toward me. But the barrel catches in a limb, and the burst whizzes to my right. I lob the grenade and grab the carbine trigger with one movement. Before the grenade has time to burst, two krauts fall with carbine slugs in their bellies. I quickly lob two more grenades into the position; four of the eight Germans are killed; three are put out of action by wounds. The eighth, a squat, fat man, tries to escape.....I squeeze the trigger. The helmet jumps. The man falls as if struck in the head with a club." (Chapter 17)

"Before reporting to company headquarters, I carefully clean my carbine. ‘I want to go up and try to get that sniper,’ I say....There is a rustle. My eyes snap forward. The branches of a bush move. I drop to one knee. We see each other simultaneously. His face is a black as a rotting corpse; and his cold eyes are filled with evil. As he frantically reaches for the safety of his rifle, I fire twice. He crashes backwards....At headquarters I make my report. Then I go to the room that serves as a kitchen, take my carbine apart, and start cleaning it." (Chapter 17)

"Crack! It is like being struck with a ball bat. The ricocheting bullet digs a channel through my hip and knocks me flat....I raise my carbine and with my right hand fire pistol-fashion. The bullet spatters between the German’s eyes." (Chapter 18)

"'Wonder if I could get a carbine. I don’t like an M-1 for this woods fighting.'" (Chapter 19)

"The [German] officer hesitates. My finger begins squeezing the trigger of my carbine. I think perhaps with a quick rake I can put most of the Germans out of action, but at this moment, I would give my chances in Paradise to have a tommy gun in my hands." (Chapter 14)
  • Chap17
    • Oct 2009

Great post!

I've got to get that book.

Jess

Comment

• TwoGunChuck
      • Jan 2010

Thanks. Don't know how readily it is available in bookstores, but it can be ordered from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Back-Audi...7243566&sr=8-2

Comment

• hink441
        • Oct 2009

I read that book last spring and thoroughly enjoyed it. I picked up my copy at a Barnes and Noble book store. They had plenty of copies available. I think this book has become a WWII classic. A definite must read. I doubt Oprah has it on her list though.

Comment

• jcrowl
          • Jun 2010

Murphy's carbine, or one of them, Winchester #1108783 is on display at Fort Stewart
          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• AZTrooper110
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by jcrowl View Post
            Murphy's carbine, or one of them, Winchester #1108783 is on display at Fort Stewart
            [IMG][/IMG]
            Audie Murphy carried that in WWII? It has a Type III barrel band. Just sayin'
            August 1943 SA - The Garand bug has got me!

Comment

• Mike T.
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by AZTrooper110 View Post
              Audie Murphy carried that in WWII? It has a Type III barrel band. Just sayin'

I read somewhere that it had been turned in and rebuilt like all the others back when carbines were simply tools instead of collectibles--even ones owned by war heroes. I also heard somewhere that this particular carbine had been pulled by CMP (or its predecessor) later on by someone who was specifically searching for its serial number. Of course, I have read and heard a lot of things which turned out to not be true.
              Last edited by Mike T.; 10-25-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• andyman
                • May 2010

Originally posted by Mike T. View Post
                I read somewhere that it had been turned in and rebuilt like all the others back when carbines were simply tools instead of collectibles--even ones owned by war heroes. I also heard somewhere that this particular carbine had been pulled by CMP or its predecessor later on by someone who was specifically searching for its serial number. Of course, I have read and heard a lot of things which turned out to not be true.
                I heard that as well a few years ago on this website. Supposedly when they were rebuilding them post-WWII they asked Audie Murphy what SN his rifle had and he told them. They then searched and searched until they found it. Seems very plausible to me. IDK

Comment

Working...
                X