Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Default Why weren't Kerr no buckle slings more popular?

I've been using the Kerr slings on some of my old '03's,and 17's,and I think they are great,any known reason why the military discontinued their use so early?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:42 PM

The Marines officially adopted them for WWI. Around 1917, I believe is the order. They actually stated they really liked them. But then when the war was over, they switched back. I can't remember if they stated why they did. If I get a chance I will go back and look.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:24 PM

I did find this. This might be of some interest.

The Marines officially adopted the Kerr Sling in April 1917, and switched back to the Leather in Nov 1920. Now it does appear the Navy as well followed the same regulations on these slings as the Marines.

The reasons for the adoption were.

1) Ease of Adjustment
2) Lack of Visibility
3) Durability
4) And the big one! Cost. It cost .60 to purchase a Kerr. The leather sling cost the Marines .74 to make at the Depot of Supplies.

When it was determined to go back to the Leather Sling in 1920. This document is filed with it. But this is a Army doc, and not Marine. But the Marines seem to reference this as they switched back.

Last edited by cplnorton; 03-27-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the info,it was very interesting!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:15 PM

Default Kerr sling and the Thompson

Early manuals show the M1923 Kerr sling for the M1928 & A1 Thompsons. During WW2 a shorter Kerr sling called the US Sling M3 was developed for the M1 and M1A1 Thompson.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:59 PM

I really dig the Kerr sling as well.

Steve, did the Marines officially adopt the Kerr, as in would a 'correct' World War I USMC be issued with a Kerr, or was it only adopted in theory and none saw widespread issuance or combat?

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpecial View Post
I really dig the Kerr sling as well.

Steve, did the Marines officially adopt the Kerr, as in would a 'correct' World War I USMC be issued with a Kerr, or was it only adopted in theory and none saw widespread issuance or combat?
Yes a Kerr Sling would be correct for a WWI Marine rifle. You see a lot of them in pics for 1918/19.

The Marines purchased a lot of Kerr Slings. I think it was like 70,000 or 60,000. Something crazy like that. The Leather slings were to be used as well until they were worn out.

I think when they switched back, the Kerr slings were taken up and put into war reserve storage.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:23 PM

cplnorton, is there any thing in your archive research to verify there was a separate length 1903 Kerr sling which slightly shorter then the 1917 Kerr length sling? The "1903" Kerr slings are slightly shorter and typically do not have the metal loop on the lower sling portion. I know the slightly shorter slings exist just trying to determine if they were specifically for 1903 rifles or if that is just a wives tail.

Just trying to separate fact from fiction. Keep up the research!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW56 View Post
cplnorton, is there any thing in your archive research to verify there was a separate length 1903 Kerr sling which slightly shorter then the 1917 Kerr length sling? The "1903" Kerr slings are slightly shorter and typically do not have the metal loop on the lower sling portion. I know the slightly shorter slings exist just trying to determine if they were specifically for 1903 rifles or if that is just a wives tail.

Just trying to separate fact from fiction. Keep up the research!
I don't think I have anything on them to be honest. If I do, it doesn't register. I will keep an eye out for it though and report back to you if I see something.

Thank you for the kind words as well.