Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2016, 09:44 PM

Default Cheek Pad - Real or Repro?

Whatcha' think?

Old 02-24-2016, 09:55 PM

Hmmm. Did any USGI cheek pads have stitching around the pouch where the felt pads are placed?

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711
Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 PM

Not that I know much, but I think no to the above. That, and the majority that were touted as original had a return loop at the end of the stitching (although I'm sure different manufacturers handed the end stitches differently).

Real:

Real:

Repro:

Sorry for the crazy picture sizes; just grabbed some off the 'net...

Adder: I defer to Roadking below; thanks for the information!

Last edited by Neighbors; 02-25-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 PM

The original posted one is real, late contract.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbors View Post
Not that I know much, but I think no to the above. That, and the majority that were touted as original had a return loop at the end of the stitching (although I'm sure different manufacturers handed the end stitches differently).
Not all, as you noted - I have a 1976-dated cheek pad I bought from the CMP during their Cyber Monday Madness sale a few years ago, still NIW with an NSN tag. It lacks the return loop at the end of the stitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
The original posted one is real, late contract.
You know for a fact that the second row of stitching, around the felt insert pouch, is USGI? Got any pics of confirmed USGI examples?

Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=33711
Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbors View Post
In reference to the triangle at the end and beginning of the stitch, it is known as back stitching. Since the K-line pieces were the most common stitched in this manner, they were more than likely using a needle and awl sewing machine, whereas the awl makes the hole and the needle follows the awl back through the leather where the lock stitch is made. Most contractors and various arsenal harness shops had purely dedicated leather stitchers used for leather only, and they could not make the more common back stitch as a closed eye needle machine could. If a needle awl machine tried to make a conventional back stitch, the awl would cut the stitching it had just made. I have ran across many cheek pads that were back stitched by hand after the machine had sewn the main stitch, which is the way I back stitch mine. All Rock Island said in the many drawing notes for various various leather accoutrements was, that it be back stitched, not how, leaving it up to the individual contractor.

Over the years I have heard many suggestions on why they did it this way or that, but when it boils down to it, there was a lot of leeway in how these articles of war were made. Each shop or contractor had their on unique style and equipment varied. If the Ordnance/Arsenal Inspector deemed the accoutrements fit for war, it was good to go, with no consideration as to what collectors in the future considered wright or wrong. Not every leather or canvas article was inspected, as the inspector would inspect random batches of manufactured goods and as in the case of knife scabbards and slings, only one out of every dozen pieces would receive an inspectors mark (initials).

Here is a link to a post I made at jouster.com awhile back where the question regarding "Real or Repro" cheek pads was discussed concerning the cheek pads commonly found at gun shows over the years and who made them. The OP has changed his photos of the pad in question, but there is still some good info and photos of some of the last known original tooling for making contract pads that I acquired several years ago and that we use to make our cheek pads.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...piece&p=394929

Richard
Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
Whatcha' think?

If you go to the GB link below, for comparison only, which is for an old CMP lottery M1D sale with all usgi accessories. The cheek pad is exactly the same.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=544534540
Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARFTS View Post
If you go to the GB link below, for comparison only, which is for an old CMP lottery M1D sale with all usgi accessories. The cheek pad is exactly the same.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=544534540

Hmmm, I would be interested in knowing if the pad has a date stamped on the backside. The seller compromised his integrity on this forum so it would be hard for me to believe anything he says. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=182354

It is my understanding that legit USGI cheek pads came rolled up in the brown paper with an inked or embossed MRT date. Anybody else got any thoughts?

Last edited by SFCDave; 02-29-2016 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-01-2016, 01:16 PM

This is from another Lottery M1D. Not all were MRT marked.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
Hmmm, I would be interested in knowing if the pad has a date stamped on the backside. The seller compromised his integrity on this forum so it would be hard for me to believe anything he says. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=182354

It is my understanding that legit USGI cheek pads came rolled up in the brown paper with an inked or embossed MRT date. Anybody else got any thoughts?
All the cheekpads I received from the big CMP sale were in plastic, not paper. I think we have visited the stitching issue before and Bill Ricca and Dave McClain both validated the variation as late USGI. I have some '76 dated CMP examples that are traditional in style, but I don't find any reason to doubt that the OP post reflects a USGI example.