Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2018, 08:14 PM

Default M4 Camillus Bayonet real or repro?

Hello,

I picked up this bayonet from a guy that I know that is downsizing his collection. Can anyone tell me if this bayonet is real or a repro? Based on my research it's either a 1953 production or one of the 90's reproductions.

Tom

Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 PM

1990s commercial mfg. Tang in your example is smooth peened vice being star peened, and the "X" is narrower than the 1953 production bayonets. The "M" in M4 and Camillus are different than the "M" seen in the 1953 production. Scabbard is also the commercial scabbard that was supplied with the 1990s production bayonets.

Last edited by Turner Saddlery, Inc.; 07-16-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the info!

Tom

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 PM

Concur with Tom.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 PM

On another note, one thing I have found out regarding both the Camillus M4 Bayonets and the M3 Knives, produced from the late 1980s-1990s, is that they apparently used chrome tanned leather or a chrome re-tanned leather in making the leather washers for the handles. In 1990 I bought a large quantity of the M3 knives and a few of the M4 bayonets and years later I noticed that the pommel and guards of the knives and bayonets began to experience rust. The knives were stored in a controlled environment, but still rusted where the leather met the pommel and guard. If you have wither an M4 or M3 produced in this era, I would use a good silicone oil or lubricant where the leather meets metal.

I also had bought a four knife commemorative set, 1941-1991, which included a USMC Fighting Knife, USN MKII, M3, and the USAF Survival Knife. All were blued with gold lettering and have gold plated guards and pommels. This set also corroded at the pommel and guards. It is an expensive set which I paid about $325 wholesale in 1991. Not much can be done, except to try and control the corrosion by oiling the leather where it meets the metal from time to time.

Richard