Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Default July 4th Range Time

Received my CMP 1911 about a month ago. I was close to 6K for my RGN. All three grades were offered at the time, and I decided to go with a SG. Received a plain but very nice 1945 Remington Rand frame with an Ithaca slide. Sterile frame that was clearly sandblasted at some point, re-parked and put away for storage. I was hoping for something with rebuild markings but I feel honored to have received this piece of history. it will be cherished for many years to come.

Decided to put the 1911A1 back into service on the 4th of July, in the year of our lord 2019. Could not think of a more fitting tribute to this pistol and those who used it over the years. As I was on the way to the range when the skies open up and I could barely see the road. When the rain let up I gathered up my gear and headed for cover. Nobody else ventured out to the range that morning,"I'll take it!" The ironic thing was it was raining when I picked up the pistol from my FFL.

Threw some oil on the frame rails and barrel hood and went to work at the 15 yard line. First few shots were high and to the right, then I settled in. Did not shoot any farther, deciding not to get any wetter. Ran 200 rds through it with only one FTF. I am going to attributed that to the GI mag that it came with. Mag was freshly parked, dry as hell, and felt like I was loading sand with the rounds. I am actually surprised it worked at all. After the range I pulled it down and polished up the tube and follower, nice and smooth now.

What a great pistol! I would feel 100% confident carrying this weapon for self defense. Not the most accurate, but fully capable for close work. For those still waiting keep your hopes high and barrels crossed.

Range Album

https://imgur.com/a/PxUAo1U
Old 07-11-2019, 11:09 PM

I would be happy with that any time. I hope mine is as nice.
I got the call on 7/8. CC still not hit.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 07-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Sheeple Fighter, that's a great story, brought back good memories. Uncle Sam always seemed to send us to the range in the rain. Loved the sound of dozens of US firearms firing simultaneously (usually M16s and, my favorite, M1911A1s) and brass clinking off everything, the smell of burning powder everywhere and hot coffee brewing behind the line in 20 gallon aluminum pots on an old school field range. All that in intermittent rain showers and clean, crisp morning air. Mmm, Mmm, Mmm. A BEAUTIFUL day to be in the Army !! And YOU enjoyed a similar experience on Independence Day, to boot !! Enjoy your piece of American history.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:16 PM

Pistol is in good shape, pretty tight slide to frame fit. I don’t really think there are any lemons in the bunch. I believe some were expecting correct auction grade pistols or something. Next I will have to try some hollow points and see how it feeds those. Trigger was not too heavy, but creepy. did the job fine and better than some striker-fired plastic jobber. My FTO a Vietnam veteran carried a 1911A1. It was a Union Switch and Signal he got off a friend from the VFW who served in WWII.

Just dug out my old duty pistol tonight and stripped it down to the frame. Think I caught the 1911 bug again.....headed to the range in the AM.