X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rarecat
    • Jan 2013

Strange question - Ammo exposed to a fire

Just curious and thought I'd ask the experts. I've acquired a bunch of HXP 30.06 that was in a house fire. It doesn't appear that it was in extreme heat since it was stored in a plastic container and it didn't melt. It looks and sounds fine (powder) based on visual examination.

My plan is to test fire a random sampling in one of my bolt guns but I thought I'd at least ask if there is anything I should know or be concerned about before I run my "test"....
  • Mals9
    • Jun 2011

With no deformation of the plastic container I would have no worries other than being soaked with water.

Mals

Comment

• BRMPCF50
      • Dec 2013

Any smoke staining or soot on the container? If so, I’d pitch it. Indication it was exposed to products of combustion (heat, smoke, high humidity). And pitch it if any soot comes off on your fingers from individual cartridges.

Otherwise depends on where it was in relation to the fire (and maybe post-fire cleanup storage).

If the ammo was stored in an area above, or on the same level, as the main body of the fire it is likely it was exposed to higher heat levels, smoke (toxic and harmful gases). As well as high humidity from firefighting activities.

If the ammo was stored below the fire area, much less likely to have been damaged by the fire byproducts.

Comment

• Rarecat
        • Jan 2013

Sealed plastic ammo can, covered with soot. Inside was untouched by smoke or water, ammo is clean. I've got no idea where it was in relation to the actual fire.

Comment

• sigman2
          • Oct 2009

If the plastic didn't melt and no other contamination then you should be good to go.
          CMP Customer # 131290
          NRA Patron Member
          Garand Collectors Association
          Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
          http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Comment

• metallurgical man
            • Aug 2016

I've fired ammo that was in a house fire, brother's place.Some of the primers would not fire.

Comment

• BRMPCF50
              • Dec 2013

Extruded (stick) powders less sensitive to storage temperature, and temperature extremes, than spherical (ball) powders. Spherical powders can get “psychotic.” Will show increased high pressure spikes at the same time velocity drops. Increased storage temp accelerates this change.

The Norma Reloading Manual, 2013, has interesting discussion, graphs, and charts on this. Starting on page 100.

There are a number of reasons ammo cans frequently stored and shipped in wooden boxes. Wood is a heat shield, the wood insulates. And, counterintuitively, the wood provides some protection to the ammo from fire. It takes added time for the wood to burn through.

Comment

• lapriester
                • Oct 2009

If that plastic box wasn't damaged the ammo wasn't either. You're overthinking it. I'd worry more if had been in a spam can and I had no idea how much heat it had been exposed to. The undamaged plastic means not much.

Comment

• Rarecat
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                  If that plastic box wasn't damaged the ammo wasn't either. You're overthinking it. I'd worry more if had been in a spam can and I had no idea how much heat it had been exposed to. The undamaged plastic means not much.
                  Just being cautious, better safe than sorry

Comment

• lennnorment
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                    I would agree with this and only add that you would need to check for any water in the bottom of the cans or evidence that some was present at some time. Heat would not be an issue.

Comment

• BRMPCF50
                      • Dec 2013

“Heat would not be an issue.” SEROIUSLY? Heat IS a major factor in the degradation of ammunition. Heat speeds the chemical decomposition of the powder. (And that decomposition is not reversed when the powder is returned to room temperature.)

One might salvage the bullets and the cases.

I wouldn’t expose my head, limbs, or firearm to shooting ammunition that I knew had been exposed to fire.

Just the opinion of a retired firefighter...

Comment

• Rarecat
                        • Jan 2013

Perhaps the best answer is to pull a few bullets, inspect the powder and compare it to known good

Comment

• lennnorment
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by BRMPCF50 View Post
                          “Heat would not be an issue.” SEROIUSLY? Heat IS a major factor in the degradation of ammunition. Heat speeds the chemical decomposition of the powder. (And that decomposition is not reversed when the powder is returned to room temperature.)

One might salvage the bullets and the cases.

I wouldn’t expose my head, limbs, or firearm to shooting ammunition that I knew had been exposed to fire.

Just the opinion of a retired firefighter...
                          Read the entirety of the statements. If the plastic did not get hot enough to show any signs, I do not see how the contents would have gotten hotter. As far as powder is concerned, quick changes in temps degrades powder far more than gradual changes with marginally higher and lower temps.
                          We really have no idea what surplus ammo has been exposed to, or under what conditions it has been exposed when we buy it. Do you shoot surplus??

Comment

• txarsoncop
                            • Oct 2009

Another firefighter's opinion is this, an undamaged plastic ammo can with only soot on it..?

I'd be much more interested in trying to find out the ammo's location in relation to the fire as temps on the floor are WAY lower than up higher and smoke can travel throughout a building, even with doors closed, regardless of where the fire was.

So, fire contained to one room/side of a structure and your ammo in another room/area behind a closed door stored on, or near the floor? I wouldn't worry too much about it. Ammo can in the same room as the fire? Even with no damage to the plastic, it might be worth pulling some bullets. But will a visual inspection tell you anything? Not a reloader so I can't answer that.

My WAG is that the ammo can was nowhere near the actual fire (or the fire was contained VERY quickly) because of the lack of heat damage and it's probably safe to shoot.
                            bill

SA M1 Garand X2, Shuff's SA M1 Mini-G, Inland M1 'hand stamp' Carbine, NPM M1 Carbine, Remington 03-A3, Ithaca 1911A1, RR 1911A1

CMP/forum member since April 2005. For the love of all that is holy, if we do business do me a solid and leave feedback. I'll do the same for you.

Comment

• kidthatsirish
                              • Apr 2014

If your unsure please let me know...i will take it off your hands and dispose of it properly.��

Comment

Working...
                              X