Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2015, 08:36 PM

Default First small 22 silhouette matc in the morning

My son and I are shooting our first silhouette match in the morning. Anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions?

Just got back from sighting in the rifles.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-Nav View Post
My son and I are shooting our first silhouette match in the morning. Anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions?

Let us know how you did and what animals gave you the most problem.
This is a great game.After 1 year you will have no fear of offhand.
2 items that should always be done.
Natural point of aim,and follow through every shot.If you don't know what these are just ask.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:14 AM

Forget about the misses, and enjoy the few you hit. Silhouette is the hardest shooting game there is. Shooting at 50% means you are are pretty darn good at it. Don't think that the people that are really good are good because their rifles are expensive. It is the other way around. Their rifles are expensive because they are very good. Any .22 in good working order can clean the course, the difference is the shooter. Use standard velocity ammo, and have scope settings for each animal. Mark your objective lens adjustment so that you can go right to your desired range quickly.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. I am on the way now. Why does this acronym keep sounding in by brain?

B. Breathe
R. Relax
A. Aim
S. Sight
S. Squeeze

Maybe the Drill Instructor still in my head?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-Nav View Post

Well???? How'd it go? Silhouette (HP version) is dying away I'm afraid, but the SB side seems to be holding it's own. I've spent more than I care to inventory in time, materials chasing that National gold ring in the HP discipline....but the game will give you a skill set that easily transfers to any other shooting sport.

Developing a stable position, breathing, getting solid with the rifle, trigger management, all take an enormous amount of practice. Beyond that, this is a game where the winner is the person who makes the fewest mistakes....big time! That said, come to the line prepared, and be standing with hand near rifle when the "relay ?, equipment to the line" is announced. If possible already have your station set up with timer ammo, etc. you only got 15secs from ready to fire command, so efficient use of time is critical so as not to feel rushed during the 2:30 firing time..Settling in and getting able to kill that rushed feeling will help scores big time.. It's an awesome game, have fun.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 PM

Well, I had a good time. The guys who were regulars were super nice and accommodating to my son and I. My son and I shot different relays so we used the same rifle which is a Mossberg 44 that has a Nikon 4 power scope mounted on it. Chickens at 40 yards, pigs at 60 yards, turkeys at 77 yards then Rams at 100. Sounds not to hard right? However, with the time restraints and a good wind it was in fact a challenge. I realized quickly that those who do this regularly invest in some quality equipment and equally quality optics as well as match grade ammunition. My Mossberg and 4 power Nikon were nowhere near the quality of the other shooters, not to mention my box of Federal 22 ammo, but they readily accepted, coached and spotted for us. Score was 4 out of 20 for the first relay then the wind made it even more difficult and 2nd relay was 2 out of 20. We had a good time and learned a lot about this type of competition.

Last edited by USMC-Nav; 03-29-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 PM

I see you're over in LA, what range are you shooting? If it's down near Gonzales you are definitely running with the big dogs over there. Some of the best offhand shooters in the country over in them parts. Texas state championship at Bayou rifles south of Houston i think in May...make the trip if you can. Glad yall had fun.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:57 AM

USMC-NAV,congrats on your initiation to silhouette.First thing i need to mention is do not be intimidated by others equipement.Most all started out the same way.Keep shooting what you have and gradually upgrade as your skill improves.You will know when that time comes as your scores will level off.Then its time to change one thing at a time.
A good trigger is one of the most important aspects of this game therefore one that can be adjusted to the 2 pound + as per rules for Hunter gun class.
The next piece of advice is to shoot this same rifle in the Hunter class and Standard rifle.So therefore use a hunter or sporter type rifle and shoot the heck out of it.The one gun,one scope,one ammo,one set sight settings will take you farther along than the expense of 2 guns.
2nd most important equipement is your scope.It absolutely has to be of good quality to have repeatability when changing distance.I'll take some flak here but the leupold 6.5x20 EFR target knob version is the standard to judge others.
Ammo is by far the most iffy thing on 22 silhouette.Certain rifles favor certain ammo and lot #s can very.You can't really get the quality standard velocity type at local gun stores at the price and quantity that you will need.
Don't buy ammo priced above your skill level for now,another flak item(CCI standard velocity is good starting point,purchase by the case 5000).
Silhouette is a progressive game in that you start with SB that leads to (Highpower the ultimate shooting in offhand),where reloading is absolutely necessary.Then Cowboy lever action with 3 disciplines that is the most fun because you hit a lot of targets.
Other advice you can take or leave.Practice on the close animals till you can consistantly hit them,as you can most often win your class.In doing so you will be learning trigger control and follow through for the farther animals.
Adjust your scope setting for the next animal,or shootoff animal asap.
Practice on your class shootoff animals.You will tie at some point,and always shoot shootoffs.Reverse animal count for ties defeats the purpose of this game.
There is a heck of alot to know and do in silhouette,a good crowd of folks.
Just stay with it no matter how difficult or expensive it may seem.The skill level you will acquire is not found in any other type shooting.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM

Default steelchickens

USMC-NAV,forgot about silhouette website Steelchickens.com
Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 PM

If you hit 6 out of 40 you did darn well in your first silhouette match. Most people don't get close to that the first time out. If you heard that from the experienced shooters there, they weren't just being nice to the new guy. They were impressed, and hope you will stay with it and challenge them soon. It's the most fun thing you can do with a .22, and it is serious competition that is hard. Competitive shooters are the top 1% of all that have ever owned a rifle for any reason, and silhouette shooters are 1% of those. So be very proud of your hits, because almost no one can do it.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.