Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Best cleaning patches?

I did some looking around for .30 patches. All my current patches are small and are needed for my .22's. Forgot where I got them and have them in a ziplock bag. I thought golfers had a zillion opinions but they can't hold a candle to gun owners! lol
Anyway, I looked on-line at dozens of patches. From the best name brands to old shirts cut up and sold on ebay. Almost every patch has reviews saying it's the greatest thing ever created for a gun to.... your guns should be taken away from you for using them! Guy in gun shop told me solvents and patches were a thing of the past and to just run a bore snake through 1 or 2 times. Got a Hoppes .30 snake and used it after shooting 15 clips. Just to see how great the snake was I did a traditional brush/solvent/patch clean with CLP. Six patches later she was clean. So much for only using snakes. I really did not believe him but figured it would help.

Please let me know which patches you like to use.
Thank you for your opinion. Appreciated for sure.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:57 PM

My wife is a quilter, she gives me her left over quilt batting, which is the material that goes between the front and back of the quilt to give it body. It is 100 % cotton and is the best material I have found for patches.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:21 PM

I like patches that I cut to size from old blue jeans.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:36 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Old yukky t-shirts and a pair of fabric shears. Cut to size, no need to overthink this one.
Mike B
Old 01-24-2020, 08:58 PM

My worn out cotton dress shirts make for great patches.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:59 PM

What Skeet6 said, no need to overthink this.
They either get the gun clean, or apply oil, or they do not.
What makes a patch work: Ability to hold liquid (so many synthetics may not be the best) and having some texture to scrub and trap dirt and be strong enough to not tear up after a few passes.

I like USGI patches, but some people think they are made of gold; when I see them cheap I buy them (gun shows - NO, surplus stores near the base, yes).
I have bought the cut up shirts on eBay and those are great.
Cutting up old clothes would work 100% as well, and the cost is attractive.
What I use: Whatever is closest.
The best: The ones you buy cheap so you have a pile and use as many as you want with no fear of running out.

Many people love boresnakes until they get one stuck, pull harder and it breaks in the bore. Then they don't love them at all.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-24-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
My wife is a quilter, she gives me her left over quilt batting, which is the material that goes between the front and back of the quilt to give it body. It is 100 % cotton and is the best material I have found for patches.
Never would have guessed that. Learn something new every day!
Thanks, Chuck
Old 01-24-2020, 09:50 PM

"Many people love boresnakes until they get one stuck, pull harder and it breaks in the bore. Then they don't love them at all."

Your comment really caught my attention...big time. My only bore snake was just kicked out of my cleaning kit. I have no patience for stuff like that. Besides, they don't clean like they are made out to. Thanks! Chuck
Old 01-24-2020, 10:10 PM

I use USGI .30 cal. patches such as I guess are used for the various machine guns, etc. Using standard spear point type jags, these patches work superbly for .30 - .32 rifles and 9mm/.38/.357 - .45 pistols. Bought 5,000 a few years back. So glad. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck7 View Post
"Many people love boresnakes until they get one stuck, pull harder and it breaks in the bore. Then they don't love them at all."

Your comment really caught my attention...big time. My only bore snake was just kicked out of my cleaning kit. I have no patience for stuff like that. Besides, they don't clean like they are made out to. Thanks! Chuck
I was thinking of buying some and stumbled on some less than complimentary reviews around the interwebs.
Many people love them, but I decided my cleaning rods and patches get the job done (again, it gets clean or not).
"But you can keep them in you bag and clean at the range"
I have been successfully cleaning at home for decades, I'll keep that up.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread