Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2020, 07:52 PM

Default Indoor .22RF Subcaliber Practice

I’m pretty fortunate to have an indoor range at home.
So, on these cold winter’s nights I practice those things at which I am least proficient.

In three words; Standing Slow Fire

To simulate the 200-yard SR black that at 40-feet I use 0.75” target pasters. (I know the aiming point should be 0.867” in diameter but close will do.)

I swap out the regular 5.56 bolt & Magazine for a slightly modified .22RF subcaliber kit. I shoot CCI standard velocity ammunition that will print into one hole at 40’ and I adjust the dials on my Nightforce 4.5X for POA=POI @ 40’.

My Nightforce lacks an adjustable objective so a target at 40’ is out of focus. I fixed this by putting a small washer in front of the objective lens to create a pin hole lens. It darkens the scene but the target comes into sharp focus.

Then the work begins. I get pretty worn out after 50-rounds and have to take a break. I’m learning and it’s kind of fun.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:42 PM

Nice! What do you have for air filtration?
Old 01-06-2020, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
Nice! What do you have for air filtration?
There is no air filtration.

However, the air in the range is replaced every 90-seconds by an active exhaust system. The air is exhausted near the target line and make-up air is supplied at points at and behind the firing line thereby establishing a flow away from the shooter.

The bullet traps are totally enclosed trapping 99% of all bullet spatter and dust.

The range floor is regularly vacuumed using a HEPA filtered vacuum and is periodically mopped to prevent the accumulation of residue.

Lead exposure on my little range is far less than that you’d experience at any other indoor range in the country.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:08 AM

Print a few of these to try:
https://www.ray-vin.com/tech/targets/sr50ft-22.pdf
SR target reduce to 50ft for 22RF.

When you print, make sure the printer is set to Actual Size, NOT Shrink To Fit.

If your range has some A-17 smallbore targets lying about, use them. On the A-17, a shot touching the inside of the 9 ring is about the same as a wide 10 on the Ray-Vin target.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:15 PM

Educate me. What is the function of the forward section of the bolt carrier with the bolt and the hammer strut looking thing at the back?

xllx@msn.com
Old 01-08-2020, 07:07 AM

The strut attached to the “abreviated” bolt carrier pushes against a recoil spring plunger in the sporter rifle stock. This eliminates the straight line recoil which requires a “hateful” pistol grip.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:03 AM
Banned

I have .22s that match my favorite centerfire handguns. When I go to the range, I will often take the pair, the centerfire gun and rimfire surrogate, with me. Most of my shooting will be done with the rimfire. After I have gotten things satisfactorily polished with the rimfire, then I will shoot the centerfire gun. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the centerfires, and saves a pile of money.

The photo is a pair for this discussion. The 617, .22 is as identical to the 627PC as I can get it. Grips, weight, balance, trigger pull: all are identical. Makes the 617 an ideal subcaliber surrogate for me to practice inexpensively and effectively. It still helps to shoot the centerfire gun, but I can reduce the amount I shoot it to stay reasonably proficient.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yettileg View Post
I have .22s that match my favorite centerfire handguns. When I go to the range, I will often take the pair, the centerfire gun and rimfire surrogate, with me. Most of my shooting will be done with the rimfire. After I have gotten things satisfactorily polished with the rimfire, then I will shoot the centerfire gun. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the centerfires, and saves a pile of money.

The photo is a pair for this discussion. The 617, .22 is as identical to the 627PC as I can get it. Grips, weight, balance, trigger pull: all are identical. Makes the 617 an ideal subcaliber surrogate for me to practice inexpensively and effectively. It still helps to shoot the centerfire gun, but I can reduce the amount I shoot it to stay reasonably proficient.
Copying and pasting other people posts??????
Post #3...https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...andgun.586358/
Old 01-08-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Copying and pasting other people posts??????
Post #3...https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...andgun.586358/
How do you do it? You always seems to catch these guys!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:28 PM

What am I missing? What benefit do you gain by posting something copied?
Copying the answer to a question (or linking to one) I get, but swiping a personal post (anything with "I", "We", "My"......)?

Well, some people like to wear ski masks made of leather with a zipper over the mouth and I don't get that either.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread