Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Default Ps-74

Just picked up a few bandoleers of Korean (Poonsang Metal Corp.). The only identifying marks I have is the headstamp mark PS-74. Without a specific lot #, how can I sum up the safety of this ammo?

All rounds are free of any naked eye corrosion, cracks, dark spots. Just some slight metal discoloration typically seen in my LC-69 supply. How do you inspect surplus ammunition?

Thank you.

Stephen.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM

Lots 2-152 and 156 have many (and severe) issues, but they are PS-75 headstamp. You should be O.K., and a visual qualitative inspection is about all one can do for surplus anything.

My list of reports on PS headstamped ammo has apparently gone on vacation.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 PM

My PS-74 has been okay. A bit hotter than LC 69 and about the same accuracy. The brass has been soft so I quit shooting and reloading it. Druther play with LC or HXP. I still have a couple boxes less than 400 and plan to keep them rather than make a few bucks over what they cost.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM

Back when it was commonly available, my brother and I ordered several thousand rounds of the PS-75 Korean M-2 ball shipped 400rds/.50 cal. ammo can/ 2 .50 cal. ammo cans per case. We fired several cases. Firing in 03, 03-A3 and M-1 Garands the rounds gave perfect function and produced on target accuracy almost on a par with recent Greek HXP ammunition. I did very well in some vintage military rifle matches using the Korean M-2 in a Springfield 03-A3. In my experience the Korean M-2 is good ammo. If the price is right, I will buy more of it. Sincerely. Bruce.