Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2019, 09:02 AM

Default M1 Rifle Story - To Believe of Not to Believe

At the gun show this past weekend a gentle man seeing I had some M1 rifle stuff on my table stopped and started to expound on his most excellent, all factory original, correct M1 rifle. He said he knows it is what he says it is because when you open the butt plate trapdoor there is the factory label/sticker under the butt plate that proves it has never been messed with since it left Springfield Armory. I said that is usual and that I know a lot but not all about M1's and never heard/read anything about "factory label/sticker". He got kind of indignant at that and stated the rifle was verified by an M1 EXPERT.

The question is has anyone heard/read anything about these "factory label/sticker"?
Old 11-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Sounds like one of the "gun show fantasies." Should have told him to bring this rare M1 in so you could look at it.

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261

Last edited by Nodak71; 11-25-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:54 AM

Lets say for the sake of argument that such a sticker exists.

How does the existence of anything in the stock prove the barrel or the front sight or the op rod is original? Unless they are all somehow marked and the factory label mentions these marks everything including the sticker could be swapped.

Regardless of gun show fantasy or no a sticker proves nada.

My feedback thread
Old 11-25-2019, 10:16 AM

It's crap is what it is. When I get that kind of "stuff" from either a dealer or someone telling me about their rifle I ask to see it as Nodak71 posted. First thing I do is get my ME & TE gages out & start measuring. When I push the bolt back with my left hand at the "port arms" position & then let the bolt slam shut smartly prices & stories start falling apart & there is a bunch of throat clearing & story changing that "that" is what he had been told by the friend of someone who knows about M1s. I have often times wound up buying a good looking rifle once all the BS was out of the way.
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 11-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Default story

Went to the big "military" show in Alabama a few years back the dealer was telling the guy in front of me that the Garand he had for sale, belonged to a friend of his father's that carried it in WWII. When I got up to it and looked it over I saw it was an IHC, I asked the guy about it and said " I thought only SA & WRA were used in WWII". He said no there were 4 companies that made them during the war and the rifle had gone ashore at Normandy with his fathers friend who was in his 90's. He also said it was as issued, the Army had let the friend purchase it when he mustered out at the end of the war. I said you mean nothing had ever been done to it and he said nope that was how it was issued. I looked him straight in the eye and asked if it was issued in WWII why was the barrel dated 1952??????. The look on his face was priceless
Best laugh I had all day.

Last edited by majorfa; 11-25-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-25-2019, 11:53 AM

There are so many gun-shows myths: Friend of dads bring-back, as-issued rifles, Gun-show loopholes. A Army buddy recently bought a Ar type rifle from a gun show, he was surprised about having to do a background check, I told him he was now a color coded map-pin on a wall map at a 3 letter agency.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:39 PM

Ever hear the one . . . told by a vet’s niece . . . about how “Uncle Henry went ashore at Normandy with this carbine” . . a trapdoor 45-70!
Old 11-25-2019, 12:43 PM

The stickers on my Chiquita bananas prove they landed on a hostile shore during the Banana Wars.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:21 PM

Best one for me was a guy who walked into my LGS when I worked there when Mosins were coming in the country real cheap. He had a Tula rework and wanted $600 for it because its rare and some uncle or someone brought it back from some war somewhere. I turned around and grabbed one of the 20 off the rack with the $150 price tag and showed him. He just turned and left. I mean it had the billboard import mark for heavens sake!
Old 11-25-2019, 01:32 PM

My first thought would be all original with “factory label” it would be new Springfield Armory Inc. rather than old original government Springfield Armory.
Or, of course, as others have said, just BS.
Don’t know how many times people have told me about their father’s (or uncle’s or grandfather’s) all original with matching numbers M1.