Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Default NPM/Marlin help needed....w/pics

Gentlemen, sure could use any help you can offer. I'm considering purchasing this NPM carbine from a buddy of mine. Here's some info:

Serial # 4096xxx.....undated Marlin Barrel with (P) and punch mark, also (2) stamped on top of barrel, under hand guard....Flat bolt with (N).....Slide (F) in heart and (.U.).....Trigger housing looks like (BE-B) or just (E-B) not sure.....Hammer....(H.I.).....Mag release (M) with two small (cc) above M......Front sight (EU)....Rear sight (H) in a shield.....Barrel band (AI).....Hand guard (RMC).....Recoil plate (W).....Stock M1 I believe, serial # stamped on left side, (50) stamped on top left by recoil plate, (01) on pistol grip, faint cartouch on right side (GHD, UEF) with crossed cannons, sling well (MU), don't see anything on inside of stock. Haven't taken down trigger group so not sure what's in there.

Bottom of barrel does have very faint stamp (Davidsons Greensboro NC)......M2 ball, Garand round has plenty of bullet left, when inserted into muzzle.

Any help on what I have here would be appreciated....He wants $600

Last edited by Fastcast; 02-27-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 PM

A few more pics......Also comes with 2-15 round mags marked (U) (AI)

Last edited by Fastcast; 02-27-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:19 PM

A bit of a mix master but appears nice. Stock looks like a nice Underwood that apparently had a grenade launcher sight at one time. Barrel is likely original to the receiver and sounds like not shot out. $600 seems a pretty fair price for this piece even though it is import marked under the barrel. A lot of imports have been trashed.
Gunny
Old 02-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Sounds like a reasonable price, for a nice carbine, in todays market. You could probably trade some of the non- NPM parts like the BE-B (IBM) trigger group, Rockola handguard, Underwood stock, for equal quality NPM parts. Or leave as is, and enjoy a nice USGI M1 carbine! Sounds like it'll be a good shooter, too! BUY IT!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Based on the stock markings, it looks like it was one of the Israeli used guns, or at least the stock was on one of them at one time. Either way $600 seems like a good price for a carbine that looks that nice.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 PM

"Serial # 4096xxx.....undated Marlin Barrel with (P) and punch mark, also (2) stamped on top of barrel, under hand guard....Flat bolt with (N).....Slide (F) in heart and (.U.).....Trigger housing looks like (BE-B) or just (E-B) not sure.....Hammer....(H.I.).....Mag release (M) with two small (cc) above M......Front sight (EU)....Rear sight (H) in a shield.....Barrel band (AI).....Hand guard (RMC).....Recoil plate (W).....Stock M1 I believe, serial # stamped on left side, (50) stamped on top left by recoil plate, (01) on pistol grip, faint cartouch on right side (GHD, UEF) with crossed cannons, sling well (MU), don't see anything on inside of stock. Haven't taken down trigger group so not sure what's in there."

Flat bolt with "N" National Postal Meter
Slide ".U." Underwood
Trigger housing "BE-B" IBM
Front Sight "EU" Underwood
Barrel Band "AI" Inland
Handguard "RMC" Rockola
Recoil Plate "W" Winchester
Stock slingwell "MU" Underwood

If you pull the barrel band and separate the barrel, receiver and trigger housing from the stock, you should be able to see the markings on the hammer and the top of the sear. You'll have to totally disassemble the trigger group to see any markings on the trigger... and the mag catch as well.

Hope this helps...

Wayne
Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM

It seems like a fair price to me, the gun looks to be in well kept condition.

I didn't know they used grenade launchers on the Carbine, though...I learn something new every day, and usually more than that on these forums!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks to all....The hammer is marked (H.I.).....Can't see anything on the sear. I'll take the trigger group down if I purchase it.

Yea, interesting on the grenade launcher....Is that what the drilled holes in the stock were for?

So the Marlin barrel is most likely original? Are the Marlin barrels good shooters? I did get to shoot about 15 rounds through it, she shot great and had nice tight groups but could only get back 40 yards yesterday.

How bad does the import mark kill the value? It's really lightly stamped and placed in an area (bottom of barrel) that it's easy to miss. I guess it's about as well done as one could ask for an import stamp!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bkavanaugh

Import stamps mean different things to different people. Some aren't bothered by it at all while others won't touch 'em. I think in most cases, as with most collectible things, it's an objective standard, depending on the buyer. If you don't mind the stamp, then no worries - your the buyer!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Israeli import rifles are nice. A friemds shoots great. I would try and get it for $500. With the import stamp and stock holes taken into consideration. Take $500 cash over and pull it out. Hard to pass up 5 Benjamin Franklins. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.....