Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 PM

Propjetprop I would think the USMC museum might like it.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterman View Post
Propjetprop I would think the USMC museum might like it.
I might be able to help with that. If you have my cell # still, text or call. I’m 20 min from the museum of the USMC. I know a few “Brass”.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propjetprop View Post
Looking for a museum or place to display this m1...it has literally sat in my safe since this original post was made...help
I sent you a PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 AM

25 years ago a friend related the story of a artillery luger captured by Marines during WWI, note contained date, unit, and a SGT's name. Using the published after action reports and the sketchy details provided in the story, the detail of the note compared to the after action report matched the story of a patrol that took an observation outpost on that date listing prisoners, casualties and material including a luger. The date was off by a day probably caused by when it was filed. The report was in the middle of 20 volumes of AEF after action info in the library. If you know where to look, you can verify authentic stories. The owner was a civilian not familiar with military history or jargon. Fold3 website is a good source for authentic documents, but you need to know how to extract it. Hard copy exists and is buried in the National Archives with sometimes unexpected detail.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:27 AM

There is a very nice museum in Rochester NY, I've visited a few times open to the public for free, there is a donation box for those who choose to help. They have a great display here is the link;
https://www.rochestermilitary.com/

the owners name is Chuck, NPM carbines were made here in Rochester, Kodak & Bausch & lomb also made many parts for the war effort. Were both located here.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Great thread!
Old 09-07-2018, 06:36 PM

The challenge is, once you donate it to a museum it belongs to the museum.

They can display it (hopefully), leave it stored, or sell it in order to raise money for other items they want for the collection. That last option happens a LOT.

So just make sure you are comfortable with where it goes ... even if you get a verbal agreement from a curator that it will be placed on display, the next curator may not share the previous curator's vision.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, Walter Bennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at 21,22,124 [Univ. of Alabama Press,1975])
Old 09-07-2018, 09:53 PM

It was a great privilege to take him to the range and put a few magazines worth of Ammo down range. The rifle is an excellent example of an “as issued Rock-Ola” as I’ve ever seen.

Last edited by JetFuelBurner; 09-07-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:57 PM

I’ve looked into have a few items displayed in a museum and in the end it becomes to risky. If you donate the item, it’s good as gone. If you allow them to display the item, it’s almost good as gone as it becomes a hastle to get the item back if you wanted it. The reason I was looking into a museum is being military it would be easier to know an item was in a secure location and don’t have to move it every few years. With that being said I’ve yet to find a museum that would work for my intentions.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:20 AM

If the Rifle was mine I would keep it in the family. Take it to VFW posts and American Legion posts and anywhere else people would be interested in the story and Rifle. Donating the Rifle means it is gone from the veterans family forever....

Siefly