Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Underwood sent 8,000 hammers to Rockola around 4/3/44. No doubt the hammer is original.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM

The long face mag catch is interesting. Below is Rock-Ola 1729xxx that has the long face and is considered late for it's use. For comparison is 4546xxx that has the short face. Both are marked BR and considered original to their perspective carbines.

From 4.5 Rock-Ola

Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Here are pics of the Jap sword that came with the M1 my grandfather brought back from IWO Jima.....

Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM

Hey! Thanks for the photos...too bad it is broken...unfortunately it is beyond repair...

If you want to know when the blade was made (could be hundreds of years old), and how much the blade COULD have been worth...follow the below instructions...it could have been a Japanese national treasure blade worth millions of dollars...or it could have only been worth a few thousand...or nothing...

So what someone needs to do is remove the handle of the sword, so we can see the signature that has been chiseled into the metal. THAT is what tells is the worth of the blade...along with condition.

So, watch this video to see how to take off the handle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBtL7ASwiUs

It starts by punching out the little wooden peg, and "jarring" the handle downward, so it comes loose and pulls off. The handle may be pretty stuck on there, even after removing the wood peg, but it will come off eventually. DO THIS over a BED or someplace SOFT so you don't drop the blade! You only need to take off the handle...you don't have to go as far as removing the entire handguard/metal parts like they do in the video.

So take some close-up, CLEAR photos of BOTH sides of the "tang" (the metal part under the handle) - this is where the signature should be.

Then we can go from there!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Here is the part of the mag catch you were looking for...looks like the long face as described above!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM4P99 View Post
Hey! Thanks for the photos...too bad it is broken...unfortunately it is beyond repair...

If you want to know when the blade was made (could be hundreds of years old), and how much the blade COULD have been worth...follow the below instructions...it could have been a Japanese national treasure blade worth millions of dollars...or it could have only been worth a few thousand...or nothing...

So what someone needs to do is remove the handle of the sword, so we can see the signature that has been chiseled into the metal. THAT is what tells is the worth of the blade...along with condition.

So, watch this video to see how to take off the handle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBtL7ASwiUs

It starts by punching out the little wooden peg, and "jarring" the handle downward, so it comes loose and pulls off. The handle may be pretty stuck on there, even after removing the wood peg, but it will come off eventually. DO THIS over a BED or someplace SOFT so you don't drop the blade! You only need to take off the handle...you don't have to go as far as removing the entire handguard/metal parts like they do in the video.

So take some close-up, CLEAR photos of BOTH sides of the "tang" (the metal part under the handle) - this is where the signature should be.

Then we can go from there!
Thanks Dave...

I will get to work on that right now!!!

No matter how valuable this "broken" sword is, it tells a whole chapter of family and american history!

I will report back soon with the sword tang information!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Nice carbine.

If you could show a picture of the documation of this as a return, less personal info, lots of folks would love to see it.

I beleive you, but, I just do not think any USGI rifles came back that way.

My dad brought back stuff from Germany during the war. Most not documented. Some was, but not USGI.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propjetprop View Post
Here is the part of the mag catch you were looking for...looks like the long face as described above!
Very cool. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1-TA View Post
Underwood sent 8,000 hammers to Rockola around 4/3/44. No doubt the hammer is original.
I believe the hammer is original but, not to this gun. I think the Underwood hammers sent in April 1944 would be found in the 6.7-6.09 million range serial numbers. This gun is showing a serial number of 4620868,which I think would put it in the Feb. 1944 time frame. Pg 212 of War Baby puts the serial number well within the range of this theory. If if this receiver was delayed 2 months, the magazine release is questionable then, serial numbers in the 4.5 million range and after are showing up with the type 3 magazine release. Can we get a picture of the magazine catch(where the finger goes)?

Last edited by lbelflowers; 02-18-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Might be looking at wrong pictures?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM

Check post 37... I belive I posted the pics of the magazine catch... the finger side.....

Your knowledge is impressive!

As far as I have been told by my grandfather... this rifle was disassembled and packed in his ruck sack when he left IWO JIMA for the states. He also brought the sword back... The Arisaka rifle has the same story also the flag...

This is the flag he told me he brought back from the island of Iwo Jima

These are of the Arisaka with bayonet that he brought back... the mum is rubbed so I believe he must have found this one the armories in japan before leaving (His story was different, but the rubbed mum tells me it is post surrender)

Anyone know what the 172 on the handle of the Bayonet might mean or reference?

Last edited by propjetprop; 02-18-2013 at 10:33 PM.