Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 AM

Exclamation

Excellent post. Nice to have the pics back so this is possible again.

Larry
Old 10-24-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping Sr. View Post
I bought the bolt tool "just because" and wont go back. Its like having ac in the pickup...........
This made me laugh... I always prided myself in NOT using a bolt tool. Then one day I purchased a grouping that included a bolt tool. "Oh good, I'll sell the bolt tool to recoup some of my money" I thought.

Then I made the mistake of trying the bolt tool..... needless to say I use it 100% of the time. I'm like water.... and take the path of least resistance.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 AM

The bolt tool is the best thing since sliced bread !....It saves your fingers and bolt parts to...
Old 10-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keymaker View Post
This made me laugh... I always prided myself in NOT using a bolt tool. Then one day I purchased a grouping that included a bolt tool. "Oh good, I'll sell the bolt tool to recoup some of my money" I thought.

Then I made the mistake of trying the bolt tool..... needless to say I use it 100% of the time. I'm like water.... and take the path of least resistance.
LOL I never saw a tool I didn't like.I pride myself on having every gimcrack available.The path of least resistance leads to enlightenment.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah, all those tools are neat until the SHTF and you're out in the field with a broken extractor and you whip out that tool that took the place of two En-Blocs of M2. An extravagance you can't afford when weight is somewhat an issue and ammo takes precedence. When you run out of ammo, wish that 2 En-Blocs were there and they're standing in front of you, you can always impress them with how easy it is to disassemble your bolt.

Hope for the Best...prepare for the worst.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-7Ret. View Post
Yeah, all those tools are neat until the SHTF and you're out in the field with a broken extractor and you whip out that tool that took the place of two En-Blocs of M2. An extravagance you can't afford when weight is somewhat an issue and ammo takes precedence. When you run out of ammo, wish that 2 En-Blocs were there and they're standing in front of you, you can always impress them with how easy it is to disassemble your bolt.

I agree. People should do it the hard way first. Be able to do it without a tool. Then buy the tool.

Eric
Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-7Ret. View Post

LOL Sir since I'm approaching the sixty mark with arthritic hands and missing digits I doubt I'll be taking to the field much.I spent 40 years working maintenance for a highway contractor.In that business time is money and you were reminded of that fact often and having the right tool that saved you time meant the machine was back on the job quicker.Just as your life experiences shape your methods of doing things so do mine. I assume you know what Murphys Law is,we considered Murphy an optimist,our motto was"expect the worst,you'll never be disappointed''.Making a comparison between Mr.Average Gunowner working on his rifle at home to some fantasy SHTF situation is no comparison at all.

Last edited by KRAG-30-40; 10-24-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 AM

When taking the bolt apart the first time, do it in a dark and cluttered area. This will ensure that you pay more attention in the future!!!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Krag30-40, if you can call it a fantasy you obviously haven't been keeping up with current events. The situation in this country is deteriorating quickly. Sorry to hear of your infirmities. Sir, your health situation and everybody elses is no comparison at all. Mr.Average Gun-owner is precisely the person who will have to deal with any future contingencies.

Murphy's Fifteenth Law; If you can keep calm and laugh will everybody else is panicking, you obviously have no idea what's going on.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:13 PM

Was just using a spent cartridge to depress the ejector and a punch to push out the extractor. I tought about buying a bolt tool, but, instead, made one from stuff I had in the garage. Took about 1 1/2 hours to make. Kind of crude, but, since I don't take M1 bolts apart for a living, it works just fine. Still have to use a punch to knock out the extractor, but, oh, well!

The Bolt tool I made weighs 5.60 oz. (scale cal'd 25 May 2009), an assembled bolt weighs 5.45 oz. and an enbloc w/8 rnds weighs 8.20 oz. If the SHTF and I decided to take a Garand instead of my RR M4 or Yugo M70 AK, and I was worried enough about having a bolt problem with the M1 that I needed to comtemplate taking the bolt tool or two more enblocs, I think I'd just grab an assembled bolt out of one of my other Garands, check headspace real quick, tape the extra bolt to the front handguard and suck up the extra 5.45 oz of weight, head on out to the field and prepare to defend myself against the tyranical libs!

Tags
field, headspace, no-go