Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM

MH60, nice job! Mother of invention. Your post and reasoning is why the M3A1can do so many different things. You can do anything you need to to a Garand except change out the barrel with it. Plus, it hides in one of the buttstock tunnels so it's out of the way.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-7Ret. View Post
Krag30-40, if you can call it a fantasy you obviously haven't been keeping up with current events. The situation in this country is deteriorating quickly. Sorry to hear of your infirmities. Sir, your health situation and everybody elses is no comparison at all. Mr.Average Gun-owner is precisely the person who will have to deal with any future contingencies.

Murphy's Fifteenth Law; If you can keep calm and laugh will everybody else is panicking, you obviously have no idea what's going on.
Sir,you should check out the Battle Tested forum over at Tim Shufflin's sight.They have a very good forum on the coming attacks by the zombie hoardes.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:36 PM

I have an M3A1 tool and I do use it - just not for bolt dis-assy/assy. It rides in the buttstock of one of the two or three Garands I take when I go to the range.

I used it for the bolt until I figured out that a spent cartridge was faster, easier and less of a pain on the hand (even with a rag around the brush). I can always come up with a spent cartridge - even if I have to make one. Then, one day, I was at the SS and saw one of the customers taking a bolt apart with one. I took a quick look at it and decided, heck, I can make one of them. So, I went home an did.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 PM

How do you post photos directly to the thread?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Stockyards...
1. - Upload your photo(s) to a web host (i.e. www.photobucket.com)
2. - in the "Message:" box below click on the "Insert Image" icon (2nd icon from right)
3. - copy & paste the URL of the picture in the box that pops up. Repeat as necessary.
4. - add your text and post.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM

I keep an extra bolt which headspaces ok in any Garand I shoot. The buttstock tool works fine for me so far, but arthritis could change that. I don't really see myself fidgeting around small internal bolt parts in a pressure situation anyhow.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie59 View Post
I keep an extra bolt which headspaces ok in any Garand I shoot. The buttstock tool works fine for me so far, but arthritis could change that. I don't really see myself fidgeting around small internal bolt parts in a pressure situation anyhow.
FWIW I usually have 3 spare Garand bolts at any time and I always try them all when I check headspace on a new build or acquisition. I've never seen a bolt that wouldn't headspace safely in any of them. Despite that, I would never fire one with a bolt that hadn't been checked unless it was a life-or-death situation. I believe that's why some troops were so cavalier when swapping bolts in combat conditions.

Member since 2005

Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 PM

It takes me about 7 seconds to disassemble a bolt and about 10 seconds to reassemble it.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 PM

Thats wild.. This thread somehow jumped out of the How-To's and into the M1 Garand forum... Hmm

Eric
Old 09-06-2010, 05:50 AM

Time to bring this one from the depths of the CMP forum archives and resurrect it. lol

Seriously though, Eric, I wanted something I could copy and paste and keep in the M1 Garand folder I created to have for a reference should the need arise. And low and behold, when I searched this thread came up so I did just that-copy and pasted it, pictures and all into Microsoft word and then saved it into my documents and into the M1 Garand folder.

I thank you for providing it and I concur with the others in that you did a superb job in both explaining the How-To process and in providing pictures showing how it should look using each specific gauge and then even providing the results.

Again, THANK YOU!.

Tags
field, headspace, no-go