X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eliyahu
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by col b View Post
    Great. I fretted for a while reading that the earlier the harder. Almost went with a 3.6M for the first one. I still have the 3.6 and a 4.66 but not going to cut any more until there are some barrels available. Thanks for the heads up!
    Bula is reportedly offering ITAL barrels for $175.

Eli
    Formerly "Eli" - vBulletin won't allow 3-character user names!
    I buy "Tipo II" and BM59 parts

Comment

• col b
      • Feb 2010

I don't see any information on the bula forge URL that would indicate that they make or sell them. Are they keeping them secret?

Comment

• Eliyahu
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by col b View Post
        I don't see any information on the bula forge URL that would indicate that they make or sell them. Are they keeping them secret?
        Maybe! Give them a call, they've supposedly shipped some out.

Eli
        Formerly "Eli" - vBulletin won't allow 3-character user names!
        I buy "Tipo II" and BM59 parts

Comment

• Pmangelos
          • May 2017

Great info here, I’m gathering the parts for this as well. Can you share who did the engraving?

Thanks,
          Paul

Comment

• mp_tx
            • Jul 2010

Very nice illustration of the stripper clip guide install.

Comment

• Hal O'Peridol
              • Oct 2009

Nice work!

I built mine several years ago before the influx of the complete kits. I sourced parts from gunbroker, an internet forum WTS ad and direct from Italy. Receiver came from Garand guy but was not to spec. Legs, while milled out to fit magazine were still Garand shaped and front hole for the magazine clock was still a small hole, not the 8mm needed.

I cut the legs on the receiver to shape using a dremel cutoff wheel and masking tap for a guide. The front mag catch I used a pin and bushing arrangement.

Stock I modified a Garand stock.

Stripper clip guides were not available backthen. Not really going to worry about it now.

Who did the engraving on your receiver? Nice job.
              Last edited by Hal O'Peridol; 12-22-2017, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• Old Guard
                • Apr 2013

[QUOTE=cal50;1662036]The USGI drill rifle receiver was welded on to demil it. All the ones I have seen have been welded with stainless steel filler rod. This will not conventional take blue or park. You can use Oxynate 84 that works on stainless steel if desired.

I had some left over Norrel SOCOM black Moly Resin that I applied to my receiver. I blasted it lightly and then applied with airbrush and baked it to cure.

My wood was in nice shape and only needed some light dents and dings steamed out and a few coats of tung oil. Beretta used nice walnut.

Now I am ready for a range trip~
                very nice work, it is a beautiful package, certainly interested if you catch up and want to do the milling on another early garand reciever..

Comment

• Sigpros
                  • Apr 2017

Great thread and nice rifle. I wish I had the skills

Comment

• cal50
                    • Mar 2011

There are several variations on the Garand to Beretta BM59 conversion.
                    It really is a unique rifle.

Comment

• s11033
                      • Oct 2013

Hey guys,

I bought a couple BM59 receivers made from ADI cast receivers, a couple Sarco BM59E parts kits, and took apart a Shuff's Mini-G that I hadn't shot in a while. I reshuffled the parts and ended up with a BM59E, a Mini-59 and a Mongrel .308 Garand. I'm pretty happy with the results, especially considering that each rifle cost under $800. I'll post some more pictures when I get back home from vacation.

https://imgur.com/a/nagGb

Steve

Comment

• Neighbors
                        • Feb 2014

Thanks for the detailed series of posts! Love threads like this!

Chris

Comment

• Tankdawg0057
                          • Nov 2016

Any tips for what to look for in a drill rifle receiver? Last time I looked at them I noticed varying levels of welds on them. If you see discoloration on the receiver itself, is this a concern? Heat treat issues and all that.

Comment

• s11033
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Tankdawg0057 View Post
                            Any tips for what to look for in a drill rifle receiver? Last time I looked at them I noticed varying levels of welds on them. If you see discoloration on the receiver itself, is this a concern? Heat treat issues and all that.
                            What level of gunsmithing are you set up to do? I’ve been told that removing the weld between the barrel and the receiver can be easy, but that the op rod weld can be much trickier. Sometimes the op rod channel can be damaged when trying to remove the remnants of the weld, and the heat treating will obviously be totally jacked up in the area. I don’t think drill receivers are going for that much cheaper than in-spec ones. I got a cast BM59 receiver for $450 shipped that come from the same source as the JRA receivers and it’s held up just fine.

Also, I forgot to post my additional photos!

https://imgur.com/gallery/VWrvr
                            https://imgur.com/gallery/ox919

They’re such sweet rifles...

Steve
                            Last edited by s11033; 06-25-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Tankdawg0057
                              • Nov 2016

none. Was gonna send it to Tim Shuffin.

Seems like last time I was at north store they had drills that did not have welded OP rod channels. Some did, some didn’t. But they all had varying degrees of weld between the barrel and receiver. A few with discoloration (rainbow hue) on the receiver area where the barrel meets the receiver.

Comment

• col b
                                • Feb 2010

The last BM59 I built was on a drill rifle from the South store. Pretty clean receiver. No OPROD channel weld. Just milled off the barrel weld and screwed it out. Only minor issue was the the welded spot on receiver didn't take park very well. Probably Stainless weld. You don't see it....and I ended up with a very nice NFR stock with all the hardware!

Comment

Working...
                                X