Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2018, 02:03 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Lap, have you considered a heavier buffer? It might solve those brass issues.

Thanks for your feed back on 22 Nosler, I'll keep that option open ...but I'll be looking for resolution on that brass issue, hope you resolve it and post what solution was /is.

Thanks.

It is a work in progress and I happen to have an H2 buffer in my box I'll give a try just for kicks. Any work at the range is good work right? It is odd though that changing to the low mass carrier decreased the case head damage a bit. I got good accuracy with the low mass and 28.5gr of H335 behind the 55gr V-Max with little case head damage out to 200 yards. I probablt will dig out the Chronograph on the next trip to see what the velocity is from that mid load and the 18" barrel.

LOL, after all this discussion I was made aware of a deal I couldn't resist on overrun 18" HBAR Grendel Type 1 (you have to use a 7.62X39 bolt in these) stainless barrels for $99. With 3 upper receivers and a bunch of extra upper parts collecting dust upstairs I just had to buy one. If you have any interest here's the link: https://www.ar15part.com/product-p/186.5gsshb1x8or.htm And, the last time I checked last week Starline had Grendel brass in stock and Midway had Grendel Hornady dies discounted with that free 100 bullet rebate from Hornady. Couldn't resist that either. God, my wife is going to kill me if she finds out.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:46 PM

Lapriester:
I'd be very interested in you posting any comparisons you end up with!
Especially since both have 18" barrels!

Of course it isn't regarding 224 Valkyrie..............

But post it up just the same..............these 3 calibres are really competing against one another.

Again: your main "beef" with the 22 Nosler is the brass, otherwise you seem to get great accuracy? How many rounds have you shot thru it......any feel for barrel life?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Lapriester:
I'd be very interested in you posting any comparisons you end up with!
Especially since both have 18" barrels!

Of course it isn't regarding 224 Valkyrie..............

But post it up just the same..............these 3 calibres are really competing against one another.

Again: your main "beef" with the 22 Nosler is the brass, otherwise you seem to get great accuracy? How many rounds have you shot thru it......any feel for barrel life?

Thanks!
With almost every load I tested I had same hole accuracy at 50, sub MOA at 100 and as little as 1" groups at 200. Best was at near max but that brass was trashed on the first firing. I settled on 28.5gr of H335 which still grouped just over an inch at 200. I have two other powders to test. I only have about 200 rounds through it so barrel wear won't be a factor for a long while. I figure I'll shoot 500 to 750 a year on squirrels so I'll get back to you in 3-4 years about barrel wear.

Last edited by lapriester; 02-18-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:54 PM

Lapriester:

So you're running 55gr Vmax over 28.5 H335 out of an 18" barrel......
Please post whatever chrono results you get, I'm curious.

What is the twist of your barrel, the Odin site didn't list it...... ?......

I asked about the round count as one of the questions yet to be answered with these three rounds is barrel life. I THINK all should have good lives, but don't KNOW yet.

Keep us posted about your experiences with the 6.5 Grendel.

Since your wife is mad at you anyways, how about you get a 224V upper too.....

Or am I up since no one else will? joke just a joke ok? No bad tone implied

Last edited by Gewehr43; 02-18-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:27 AM

1-8 twist. And God knows I don't need another AR caliber. 5.56, 204, 6.8, 300 BO, 308, 260 Remington, 6.5x6.8, 277 Wolverine, a 5.56 upper I'm running a CMMG 22LR conversion in and now the 6.5 Grendel. That is quite enough to keep me busy. ;-) I am, however considering converting one of my 6.8SPC's to 6.8GPC which is an enhanced SPC with about 250-300 FPS more velocity. All it takes is a chamber re-ream. And fire forming 6.8 brass. It's still in the testing phase but looks really promising so far. I'm trying to talk them into trying a 6.5GPC too. That would be a screamer.

Last edited by lapriester; 02-19-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 PM

Have you shot 75's thru your 22 Nosler?
If so results?

That would be the closest apples/apples versus the 224V (since there is a 75gr load already)......................

If you couldn't tell, I'll probably step up myself............. though the barrel I want is OOS for who-knows-how-long..................
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Have you shot 75's thru your 22 Nosler?
If so results?

That would be the closest apples/apples versus the 224V (since there is a 75gr load already)......................

If you couldn't tell, I'll probably step up myself............. though the barrel I want is OOS for who-knows-how-long..................
Nope, not yet. I have shot some 69's but haven't really developed a load for them. I also have some 80's on the shelf but don't know if I can load them at mag length and still drop a decent powder charge. I'm thinking that going heavy will really cause the cheesy Nosler brass to self destruct even worse. The weak link still remains the crap Nosler calls brass. When I tested loads with the 55's and H335 and H4895 I was looking for an accurate squirrel round for next month and get the rifle zeroed. I found it, got it zeroed so I doubt I'll experiment much more in the near future.