Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 PM

Default 6-6-13 NS Report

Had the store to myself for a little while. It was fun even if the pickings were slim.

First, and most important, the twins are still there. I looked them over. I have a feeling the white one has some nice looking wood underneath, but there were just too many chunks missing. Pass.

M1 Garands:

A partial rack of HRA Service Grades. No SA or Win.
No Field Grade at all except for the snipers.
Plenty of HRA Service Grade Specials. No SA.
A few racks of M1Ds and M1Cs.
Drill rifles galore. Got tired after looking at half of them.
A dozen or so Navy barreled receivers, I think Mod I.
Did not look at the stripped receivers behind the counter.

22s:
Full rack of Kimbers. Lots without cuts.
Plenty of assorted .22 barreled receivers.

Two racks of air rifles.

I like to look for M1s with numbers consecutive to mine. First rifle I picked up today was an HRA SG, the only one with USGI wood, that was within 40 of an HRA I have. That was the closest I got all day.

I looked at the wood on some of the M1Ds. Found a really nice open box SA on a RG, but decided against looking at it further when I lost my muzzle gauge down the pipe.

So I dove into the HRA SG Specials. Gorgeous. Some had some op rod dings but in general, very nice and hard to pick a favorite. So I expanded the search to include barrel makers. Out of all of them, two had LMR barrels. One gauged just under 1 on the muzzle and 2 at the throat. It had virtually zero wear that I could detect on the internals. I have never had an M1 with an LMR barrel. That situation will be corrected when the BWT shows up on Tuesday.

Store staff was super helpful and friendly as always. The ladies in the office processed the papers faster than ever (I know, hard to believe) and even updated my notary when I wasn't looking. Talk about good!

Worth the trip? If you want an HRA SG or especially SG Special, yes. Kimber, yes. M1D, maybe. Daisy, yes. Target .22 project involving a lot of work, possibly. Ratty old mistreated M1917s, yes, definitely, someone please adopt the twins.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Nice report. I was there about mid morning on the 5th of June.

Do you have any idea what the "twins" cost. I heard the black was really shot out.

I got a 3-55 HRA with the walnut stock with a 1 on the ME and a 2 on the TE. I also got a 8-54 HRA with the birch stock with 2 on ME and TE. Both rifles are almost flawless with just little scuffs where the gas plug screws in. I noticed there was no cosmolene in either rifle. Very very clean. It seems both have the original barrels they came with with the shiny throat areas meaning no parkerization. The oddity was the 8-54 rifle had a SA trigger assembly instead of a HRA like the other.

I also bought a receiver. There was 4 in the box behind the counter. I got a 5-44 SA that was not pitted or scuffed. The other 3 receivers were WW2 vintage in similar condition as mine, excellent.

Thanks for your report. This is my first post.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 AM

The "twins" are the Ceremonial m1917's at $250 apiece. I think everyone here likes the idea of buying them and fixing them up. Return them to there former warhorse status. That is, until they go and see them.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpm3 View Post
Had the store to myself for a little while. It was fun even if the pickings were slim.
I was there in the afternoon and it was like a ghost-town. No waiting on paperwork was a definite bonus
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdstew View Post
The "twins" are the Ceremonial m1917's at $250 apiece. I think everyone here likes the idea of buying them and fixing them up. Return them to there former warhorse status. That is, until they go and see them.
I get the feeling the people here want the "twins" to stay just where they are. Sort of like guardian spirits at the store
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac2165 View Post
I was there in the afternoon and it was like a ghost-town. No waiting on paperwork was a definite bonus
There were 2 other guys when I was there. The older man might have been the father of the other. They came in the same van. The younger guy bought a $625 special that had nice tiger stripping on the stock. He was obviously proud of his purchase. He told me "this opens up a whole new world to me". I showed him how to avoid "Garand thumb". When I went out to my car I seen him with his CMP Garand case opened and on the ground giving it one more look before he packed it away in the van.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Were there 03A3 drills by any chance?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
Were there 03A3 drills by any chance?
I do not recall seeing any.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the good report... Sounds like you done good....
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdstew View Post
Today was strike three for me with the twins, couldn't do it.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....988#post857988