Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Question for John Beard, Rick, or anyone in the know...

I've been barreling a couple of '03 RIA receivers I've picked up along the way. I felt sorry for some barrels I had sitting looking lonesome. I discovered I have a RIA 9-'10 barrel WITH rear sight collar that does not have holes for the cross pin, perpendicular to the barrel. All other 03 barrels I have with the sight collar installed were drilled on the bottom near the front, with pin in place. Correct? "Earlier" bands were not pinned? The small pin at about 1 o'clock is present. I tried tapping the collar forward but it didn't budge. Thought I'd ask before I get out the BFH.....
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 09-30-2018, 07:03 PM

ALL rear sight collars were drilled and pinned to the barrel transversely (perpendicular) at the bottom front. The pin kept the collar from sliding forward under recoil. The ends of the pin were dressed off with a file to match the contour of the collar so as to be "invisible" and keep field armorers from removing it. All barrels were drilled and pinned. No exceptions, unless a workman accidentally missed one.

And as you noted, all collars were also drilled and pinned at the rear longitudinally to prevent the collar from rotating on the barrel.

All drilling and pinning was done using fixturing with the collar pressed in place on the barrel. And because the fixturing changed from time to time, replacement collars don't always align with previous pinning.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 PM

Thanks J.B. I'll get out the big guns....a much stronger mag glass and light....
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell