Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
It has no visible markings that I can see. It's also been professionally inletted for a Lyman 48 receiver sight, long before I bought it about 20 years ago.

You have an interesting stock. I think I have one like it. I now know of three.

Thanks for taking the time to make and post pictures.

J.B.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
I have a scant stock like this too, and even more oddly, it is inletted only for the early style machined recoil lug. None of my Remington 03 or Remington or S-C 03A3 receivers with square lugs will drop into it. Seems very odd that a replacement stock would have been produced with such limited interchangeability.

My 1903 Scant stock was also inletted for the early 1903 small recoil lug, but was evidently chiseled out a bit to fit the larger style lug of later receivers. The Remington 1903 "transition" action that came out of it had the larger size lug.

My Scant stock is marked "RA" on the left side below and forward of the cut-off. There is a space after it and then either a "P" or "R". No other markings, including no Circle P (proof mark) aft of the trigger guard.

This stock was clearly made only for the earlier style 1903 and not for the 03A3. Later stocks were made with inletting which would allow fitting of all models (eg: cuts for both an 03A3 handguard ring and for the 1903 rear sight collar).

Although I have heard several theories or stories of how the Scant Stock design came about, it would appear that the idea preceded (and was separate from) the other innovations and manufacturing short cut designs which led to the 03A3.