Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2018, 04:37 PM

Default 1903 replacement stock wrist proof question

I picked up a very nice Remington 1903 1.1 Mil which has a replacement scant stock and replacement bolt (BF41) rest all Correct Remington. There is no arsenal mark such as RA-P or O.G. or RRAD etc etc but it has a circle P wrist proof that is sharp with a small upper case "D" just off the right hand lower corner. Sorry I do not have photo host but could send a picture via email.

My question is, is the Proof (with "D") a clue to repair facility?

This gun from an old collection and not messed with. Stock never sanded, 6-42 RA barrel. Was full of cosmoline, appeared to be DCM era sold gun.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:45 PM

Responses are as follows:

(1) You have a one-of-a-kind Remington M1903 if it's in the 1.1 Mil serial range. Remington M1903 serial numbers started at S/N 3000000.

(2) Yes.

J.B.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:53 AM

Default Thank you sir

two corrections the bolt steel code is BF 1 not BF41, from my understanding the bolt replacement would have precipitated the wrist proof?

Full serial is 3,145,323

Senior moments did not have gun in front of me.

I apologize for incorrectly providing that information in my haste to learn something about the proof stamping. MY BAD!!!

So can anyone tell me what ordinance facility "D" indicates?

Last edited by olddude; 09-30-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:54 AM

Perhaps I misunderstood. Are you saying that the proof mark is actually a "D" instead of the customary "P"? And if so, how tall is the "D"? Please advise.

Thanks!

J.B.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:44 AM

Default So sorry can't do picture.

The proof mark is typical circled P

The upper case "D" is slightly smaller than the P and sits below it on the right hand corner. There is no circle around the D.

Have a good pic and can send via email kkmauser@aol.com

Last edited by olddude; 09-29-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Check your scant stock to see if there is a channel cut at the forward end of the receiver to allow for an 03A3 handguard ring to fit. If not, then your stock could very well be the original stock for that Remington 1903.

I have such a scant stock, taken from a Remington 1903 early WW II model and it does not have a channel for the Handguard ring.

Remington began producing the 1903 and then came up with various manufacturing shortcuts which were approved by the government. Their rifles show a progression or evolution from 1903 to the 03A3 model as old style milled parts were used up and new style stamped parts became available. Some "transition" 1903's had stamped parts and scant stocks like the later 03A3's.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Check your scant stock to see if there is a channel cut at the forward end of the receiver to allow for an 03A3 handguard ring to fit. If not, then your stock could very well be the original stock for that Remington 1903.

I have such a scant stock, taken from a Remington 1903 early WW II model and it does not have a channel for the Handguard ring.

Remington began producing the 1903 and then came up with various manufacturing shortcuts which were approved by the government. Their rifles show a progression or evolution from 1903 to the 03A3 model as old style milled parts were used up and new style stamped parts became available. Some "transition" 1903's had stamped parts and scant stocks like the later 03A3's.

The only Remington rifles that were factory-fitted with scant stocks were late-production M'03-A4 rifles.

J.B.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post

I have a scant stock like this too, and even more oddly, it is inletted only for the early style machined recoil lug. None of my Remington 03 or Remington or S-C 03A3 receivers with square lugs will drop into it. Seems very odd that a replacement stock would have been produced with such limited interchangeability.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
I have a scant stock like this too, and even more oddly, it is inletted only for the early style machined recoil lug. None of my Remington 03 or Remington or S-C 03A3 receivers with square lugs will drop into it. Seems very odd that a replacement stock would have been produced with such limited interchangeability.

Does your stock have any marks on it, perhaps an "S" in the magazine cutoff recess? If so, please describe.

Thanks!

J.B.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:58 PM

It has no visible markings that I can see. It's also been professionally inletted for a Lyman 48 receiver sight, long before I bought it about 20 years ago.