Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 PM

Default Rem 1903 sporter

Took mercy on a bubba'd Rem 03 that had been lingering for awhile in local pawnshop. Bore is toast but the action/parts are worth more than I paid.Sad what people do to some rifles. Will prob throw in parts pile as donor.

3055791 RA 1/42 bbl

All Rem 03 parts but for blued SA floorplate.
Rcvr has right side vent hole, drilled through rear guard screw, short front screw and not cut for bolt stop. Bolt appears all early Rem and has bolt stop detents. Recvr and bolt still remains of greenish park. Trigger guard , front sight, rear sight and base more patina'd.

Album with more pics
https://imgur.com/a/QVMeKLN

Last edited by lite-box; 09-29-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:31 AM

Hey, so long as the receiver hasn't been drilled and tapped, I'd say you done good. A few more pics would be nice, and let us know how your restoration turns out !!!
Old 09-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Assuming the barrel is original (1-42 or 2-42) interesting that the lightening grooves on the fixed rear sight base are present.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:42 AM

Nice looking donor for a restoration though I'm not seeing a reason for calling the previous owner a bubba. Was it a hack job?
Old 09-29-2018, 04:40 PM

It was in a ugly homemade stock.

Rear Base and front sight base pins are intact and unmolested so prob the original rear base for bbl.

Might throw it in a cut 03 stock and see how it shoots, barrel is pretty dark and muzzle very worn, You never know.

55k isn't super early Rem 03 but thought someone would be interested in the recvr changes it had for survey.

added new album with more pics.

Last edited by lite-box; 09-29-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:51 PM

No need to shed any tears over any sporterized rifles. Imagine weeping - in several decades - over some sporterized AK47's or SKS's. You need to appreciate the time when these rifles were converted. It was a whole different ball game back then. Many guys didn't have money to burn like we do now - most households had a (one) TV set for the whole house. A couple radios, tops. We shared a phone number with several other households in the neighborhood to save a few bucks. Etc. Surplus rifles were a heck of a lot cheaper than factory civilian rifles. Most magazines had how to articles on the conversions. Even American Rifleman had a, article on sporterizing the Garand, strange but true. I have a couple of 1911's that were "nice-d up" in 1972. The guy who had it done earned the right to do so - he carried them in the B17 he piloted during the war and left them to me when he died. They look pretty nice, btw, be-darn the resale value.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
No need to shed any tears over any sporterized rifles. Imagine weeping - in several decades - over some sporterized AK47's or SKS's. You need to appreciate the time when these rifles were converted. It was a whole different ball game back then. Many guys didn't have money to burn like we do now - most households had a (one) TV set for the whole house. A couple radios, tops. We shared a phone number with several other households in the neighborhood to save a few bucks. Etc. Surplus rifles were a heck of a lot cheaper than factory civilian rifles. Most magazines had how to articles on the conversions. Even American Rifleman had a, article on sporterizing the Garand, strange but true. I have a couple of 1911's that were "nice-d up" in 1972. The guy who had it done earned the right to do so - he carried them in the B17 he piloted during the war and left them to me when he died. They look pretty nice, btw, be-darn the resale value.
Exactly!! Well put.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Hear Hear! Bubba hate is often unjustified.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No need to shed any tears over any sporterized rifles...
I've seen some damn nice sporters out there that would be a shame to destroy. And lets not forget that many of those sporter conversions were done by the guys who packed the rifles in service. Sporters are a part of the history of these rifles and it is a part of history that is being rapidly destroyed as we talk. Putting a sporter back into its military condition does not a historical piece make. I'm not saying that this is what the OP has done but I think it is always something that needs to be kept in mind when contemplating such projects. Just a little respect.

Last edited by S99VG; 10-06-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:59 PM

I have a Remington M1903 that is 4,100 from yours, my barrel is dated 3-42 and its rear sight base has the lightening cuts.